living with other people
One of my housemates is moving out soon so we're in the process of screening applicants for the room. Listening to my remaining housemates discuss the candidates is making me wonder how they let me into the house. So far the main reasons for rejecting people have been them being too quiet and not having any/enough outside interests. That's me in a nutshell, so how did I get included in the first place? Plus, I'm pretty crap about doing house chores so now I'm getting paranoid that they'll kick me out.
I'm wondering if they have some weird cognitive dissonance that prevents them from noticing how asocial I am. Did my efforts on first arrival to pretend I was normal fool them, even though I couldn't keep it up for long? I'm pretty sure my mother has the same thing going on because the one and only time I attempted to tell her how shy and terrified of people I was she kept insisting that I had plenty of friends and everybody feels shy sometimes so don't worry about it.
3 Comments:
Not the most useful response from your mother, that.
Your housemates must be crazy. How can you possibly reject a housemate for being too quiet?? What do they want, a drummer in a band?
Quietness is the one thing I would look for in a housemate. What are they, nuts?
well, we already had a drummer... I think quiet as in "won't keep anyone up at night" is expected and all the people we've met so far have fit that. It's quiet as in "didn't talk very much when being evaluated by a large group of current housemates" that seems to be the problem. Of course, being able to chatter away to a group of strangers who are judging whether or not you'll be a good housemate is something that's completely alien to me and I didn't realise that's something everyone else would think was the only acceptable response.
Post a Comment
<< Home