(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, August 07, 2005

optimism

Yankee Transplant wrote an interesting post about being an optimist the other day that I almost commented on, but I realised my comment would have been too self-centred to go anywhere but my own blog.
In spite of the evidence presented here, I generally think of myself as an optimistic person, too. If something goes wrong, I tend to shrug and try to figure out some way to get around it, or just assume things will work out and ignore it. I can always find things to enjoy in the meantime. The misery you see here comes when I realise that something I've been ignoring and assuming will work out somehow, is actually no different or even worse.
For a long, long time I thought I had a very happy childhood and nothing to complain about. I'm not sure when I started realising that maybe my memory was somewhat selective, but now I kind of miss the selectiveness because I feel like I've lost that happy childhood. I loved Peripatetic Polar Bear's "Where I'm From" post, but I can't think of where I'm from that isn't depressing.
Maybe I'm not really an optimist, maybe I'm just easy-going to a fault. People often comment on how much of an adjustment it must have been to move to the US and how I must get homesick a lot. My therapist asked last time if I get homesick and I said "sometimes" because obviously, I must; what kind of person doesn't miss their family and friends? But then when she asked when I got homesick and what I missed, I couldn't think of any examples. I don't really miss home. I'm glad to go back (I'm going next week, yay!*) but when I'm here, I'm here. I think I just accept whatever conditions I'm in and don't usually think about changing them. Really, I live in my own head, and that's the same wherever I am, unfortunately.
I'm back to having fits of tears because I messed up my password and got locked out of internet banking so maybe I shouldn't be writing about optimism right now...


*I wrote yay, but now that I think about it, I'm not so sure I do want to go home. I'm going to have to deal with my mum needing constant reassurances that I'm fine and happy (but not so fine and happy that I won't come home) and her (boy?)friend and his daughter and my dad is apparently getting married sometime and they'll arrange the date to fit in with me visiting if possible and I couldn't even fill 10 minutes of conversation on the phone with him tonight and my brother will want to fix me with his cult-ish personal development course and my lil brother needs someone to be a functional role model and I sure as hell can't help him and I'm going to have to explain to my friends why I haven't sent an email in six months and I really just want to hibernate for a while. Thank god for 24hr plane flights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home