In defence of landmark education
I think the techniques they use are actually pretty similar to cognitive-behavioural therapy. The core of it is figuring out what irrational things we've been telling ourselves, recognising that they're irrational and letting them go.
The difference is in the delivery. I was getting annoyed at the psychobabble and landmark-speak and the huge deal they made over being on time, but the intense format made it difficult to run away from issues that were confronting, which I think would make it easier for the distance between figuring out the harmful self-talk and dismissing it to be shortened to a weekend.
Any change in thinking has to be reinforced over time or things will slip back to the way they were and the company obviously takes advantage of that by having a long series of courses, but I can see that it's amazingly helpful for some people.
Most of the stuff they said was similar to things I've read before. As shaming as it is to admit it, I've read Dr Phil's book (at least I didn't buy it myself) and the emphasis on taking responsibility for yourself is the same. With landmark, you get a Dr Phil/leader standing there keeping you to account as you describe your problem (if you get up to talk) and I think the lack of sympathy is key to getting to the heart of the matter faster. I think most therapists are more compassionate and willing to skirt around an issue slowly so as not to upset the patient too much.
Actually, I think I was hoping someone would make me talk, instead of letting me stay silent and "take my time". Instead, I got caught out at my own game.
Overall, I think the ideas behind landmark are worthwhile, but I think the same thing could be accomplished without all the cult-like stuff.
The real problem I have is with the tendency to blame the victim. With all the focus on personal responsibility, there seems to be an expectation that people pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. After my brother did the course he became more arrogant and less patient with everyone else's problems. He even started telling beggars who asked if he had any money "yes, and I earned it so I'm keeping it". My mum started dreading his phonecalls because he'd spend all his time berating her for her problems and telling her to do the course.
He recently became more accepting, since he was told in one of the later courses to accept people as they are, I think. One of my intentions in doing the course, though, was to try to understand his new perspective and interpret it in a more compassionate way. Part of the reason I'm dreading talking to him is that when Mum expressed worries about being able to cope with the course, he dismissed them by saying people who broke down during the course were just using that as an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for themselves and now I'm one of those people.
I'm certainly not unequivocally in favour of landmark, and I wouldn't suggest everyone do it, but I can see it definitely has some value. I would say to someone going into it to have your eyes open, and if you need an out, just cry until they send you home with a refund :)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home