Ben Folds rocks
I went to see Ben Folds tonight and he was awesome. I haven't heard his latest album at all so I was a bit worried I wouldn't know anything he played, but luckily he played quite a few songs off the Unauthorised Biography of Rheinhold Messner, which is my favourite CD. He played possibly my favourite song "Don't change your plans" and got the crowd to sing 2 part harmony on "Army". The new song I liked the music for the most was a cover of a Dr Dre song. If you don't mind a lot of obscene language you can listen here, although I think I liked it better live when the words weren't quite so clear; the tune is very sweet.
He also played a couple of songs-in-progress and I got some shaky video of parts of them, which turned out better than I was expecting. If you're a Ben Folds fan, let me know and I'll find somewhere to put them up online.
At one point he knocked his piano stool over while playing and a stage crew person put it back in place, then he kicked it way out of the way. After the song was over he told a story about a friend who was playing piano on a cruise ship when the seat came off his stool and he ended up sitting down on the bare metal pole part, so he appreciated that the stagehand was concerned enough to fix the stool even though he ended up being a brat and kicking it away. For the encore he played "One Angry Dwarf" and ended by throwing the stool at the piano, saying it was for what it did to his friend.
When that song was still pretty new, Ben Folds Five was on a daytime talk show at home whose target audience was typified by my grandmother (there weren't too many options for tv publicity, obviously). After playing the song on this show he also threw the stool at the piano and then got yelled at (off-air) by the musical director, who went into a big rant (on-air) about how terrible this kind of behaviour was and there were plenty more deserving Commonwealthlandian bands who would have loved the chance to be on the show. I didn't actually see the show (since I'm not a 60-year-old woman) but what I heard was that he completely trashed the piano. I was disappointed to find when looking it up that the piano didn't actually get hurt.
The only bad thing about the show was that now I'm completely demoralised about trying to play piano. I wish I could play like him.
2 Comments:
I TOTALLY LOVE Ben Folds. He gives fantastic concerts. I'm glad you had a good time.
Oh, I totally wish I had gone home with you instead! I saw Ben Folds Five once, when he was opening for Dave Matthews Band, back in my pre-parenthood days (sigh). The upper reaches of a football stadium were not the ideal place to make the acquaintance of his music, but he was great. So great that (a)we bought the Unauthorized Biography, and (b) when I told Mr. Blue that you'd gone, he did indeed turn blue. With jealousy!
Post a Comment
<< Home