On the second day of Whinemas, the troll gods sent to me...
2 blistered heels
- I posted a sad farewell to my old docs back in mid-October, but I've actually been wearing them ever since. Today is approximately the fourth time wearing my new ones because it's taken me that long to get around to waterproofing them (hopefully now they'll last longer than one new england winter). Four wearings isn't enough to make me friends with them yet, since they're still all stiff so I'm tempted to go back to my old ones (except for the pouring rain, which would get right into the enormous hole)
- it really is the gift that keeps on giving. My alarm first went off at 7.30am this morning so guess what time I left the house. No, later. Later. Yep, 10.30am. How much of that time did I spend lying in bed reading blogs? about 2.5 hours. So, of course when I arrived at lab at 11.30, my advisor was right there to see me sheepishly creep in. Then of course, I proceeded to set up my computer and finish reading my blog roll. I also spent a couple of hours at a reception this afternoon and am considering postponing the remainder of my experiment to go to the movies... I read academic coach's post about increasing productivity with self-monitoring, but I think if I kept track of exactly how little time I'm spending on real work lately I'd become too depressed to do anything.
5 Comments:
I've only had one pair of doc martens in my life, even though they were far and away the most comfortable pair of shoes i ever wore, but I never replaced them because of vivid memories of the excruciating pain of breaking them in. So Respect for getting yourself a new pair!
I'm reminded of the bit in Clueless where Cher's dad asks here what she did in school today & she says brightly "I broke in my purple clogs."
Ooh, does it really hurt that much? I've been contemplating getting a pair for ages, but if the process is that awful, maybe I'll just keep on with my old pair of knock-offs...
I totally heart the 12 days of Whinemas!
My current pair of doc's (ha! pair o' docs!) took me three full weeks to break in, and I had to alternate them every other day because I was left almost unable to walk due to the pain of wearing them all day. I'm not even talking blisters either. Of course now they're the most comfortable shoes I have and are sadly getting worn out.
sheepish, alternating seems to be the best plan. I'm back to my old ones today.
Phantom and Laura, I may be ever-so-slightly exaggerating the pain for whining purposes :) In any case, it's totally worth a couple of weeks of blisters for 5+ years of comfortable shoes.
There was an ad in the paper today offering to paint a design on your shoes if you got them somewhere in particular. I'm wondering about patching my old ones somehow and painting them, although I'm probably not artistic enough.
I think that list would be just as depressing, actually... lately it would always just be:
- read lots of blogs
- wrote a post
and neither of those things are very useful.
Post a Comment
<< Home