(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, November 27, 2005

random bullets o' crap (well, numbered paragraphs o' crap, to be precise)

1. I saw "The Squid and the Whale" tonight with housemate L. and visiting friend. I liked the movie, but it had some rather squirmy moments so I felt a need to apologise for the choice of film (they initially would have preferred "Pride and Prejudice"). I also think the reason it resonated with me was that it reminded me of my experiences with my parents (not at all literally, though) and I thought their parents were probably too happily married for them to appreciate it all. I was also a little worried they'd realise how incredibly messed up I am if I admitted liking the movie a lot. In general, I'm always scared of admitting my taste in movies and books in case I incriminate myself. L. actually asked me, after reading "The Hours" on my recommendation, whether I felt trapped in my life, as the characters did in theirs. He kept teasing me about my inscrutability tonight, too.

2. Earlier today I cleaned up my room for the first time since I had a friend staying here aaages ago. This included clearing off my desk to lay out a jumper to dry (I also did laundry, finally - such a productive day!). When I got home tonight there was a yoghurt container sitting on my desk right next to my jumper. I'm not sure what alarms me more: the idea that I could be so blind I was sure it wasn't there when I left, or that someone went into my room and left it there... Actually, it's clearly the second, but still.

3. My household is surprisingly evenly divided between those who date and those who don't, ever. The male members of the latter category tend to make self-deprecating remarks concerning said membership, while the females tend toward obliviousness (feigned or otherwise), with the exception of loudly decrying the advances of undesirable suitors. At thanksgiving, I noticed some behaviour that made me think housemate A. was heading for some decrying, if she wasn't careful. However, it turns out that the suitor in question isn't undesirable after all; rather, she's actually defecting to the team of daters.
Now, this brings up a couple of issues. I think it's very sweet and I'm happy for her, but I'm still a little jealous. The main thing, though, is that I'm completely mystified by how this happens. I know one of the reasons I watch movies and read so much (books and blogs) is that I'm looking for worked examples of life. Sadly, everyone always assumes what's needed to get from one line to the next is common knowledge, but somehow I missed those lectures...

4. quote from housemate L.: "it's hard to do (insert field of research here) when you want something". He was talking about wanting things like iPods, but it's just as applicable to more existential matters. It definitely sums up why I am so spectacularly unproductive.

5. now I'm getting paranoid about posting this since it's all so easily identifiable. I could wait a few days for some of them and mess up the chronology at least, but I lack the foresight and attention span for that, I think.

4 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

"it's hard to do (insert field of research here) when you want something".

Hmmm.... this sounds about right, actually. I can think about something I'm longing for right now, and it is definitely getting in the way of my passion for research. Maybe that's what it is: passion can only be directed one way at a time?

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I know one of the reasons I watch movies and read so much (books and blogs) is that I'm looking for worked examples of life.

Yes, yes! I did the same thing, driven by the same total mystification. When were those lectures, and how did everyone else attend them during adolescence? Where was I?

From my perspective now, I have to say, though, that I'm not sure I learned very much that turned out to be useful -- at least not from movies or books. Ultimately the only way I learned was to try it for myself. And, yeah, it was embarrassingly awful. But I don't think I could have ended up where I am now without going through the embarrassingly awful stage first.

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're back, Lucy.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

B*, I'm not sure it's passion in my case, but maybe I would be more passionate if I weren't constantly thinking about what's missing from my life. I wonder if the only options are to get what you want or stop wanting it... Sorry, not a very uplifting thought. I hope you get what you want and/or your passion for research back!

Phantom, you weren't taking notes while you were going through the embarrassingly awful stage so you could pass them on and save me the trouble? :) Actually, I think I'm also somewhat mystified as to how to even get to the embarrassingly awful stage.

thanks, Laura :)

gah! why do I always get word verification things I can't decipher?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home