bonus whine!
The twelve days of Whinemas may be over, but don't worry, here at Always Listen to Your Pig-puppet, it's Whinemas every day!
I actually had a pretty good weekend, but I have to whine about why the last three days of whinemas were late. Wednesday morning I actually managed to arrive at the unheard of hour of 10am! About halfway through the day my advisor asked me to prepare a short summary of my results to present to a collaboration meeting on Friday. Unfortunately, Wednesday afternoon and Thursday I was actually *gasp* doing work so I didn't get time to analyse anything until Thursday afternoon. Of course, that was when my advisor and a postdoc needed the one computer with the nifty software on it to analyse his data so I had to wait a few hours. This meant that I started my analysis right when my advisor left for the day. At least he had already realised that I did not want to present so he just wanted me to email him some slides to show. Of course, then my data refused to fit into any useful pattern and I kept trying more and more elaborate analyses to try to pull out some small shred of a result to present until the early hours of the morning. (how many days of arriving at 11, do you think an email to my advisor at 3am is worth? :) )
I managed to scam a cab voucher home at 3am, at least, but then I wasted an hour of potential sleep obsessing over how crappy my data is and how much lab time and work I've wasted. Friday was the busiest day I've had in a long time and I had to be here by 9.30am. Hmm, that would have been about a million times whinier if I'd written it Friday morning...
Friday night, I have nothing to whine about, but the lab went out for dinner and I didn't get home until 1am. It was actually a very good night, except for my awkward coming out as a vegetarian at a portugese restaurant that has absolutely no dishes that don't include meat.
Housemate L. convinced me to go with him to a friend's party so he wouldn't be sitting alone all night, since the friend's friends are an unwelcoming bunch. The idea of asking a spectacularly socially inept person to help break into a new group of people is somewhat laughable, and it certainly didn't sound very appealing to me, but since I can't say no, I went. It wasn't so bad, though. We did find one nice person to talk to for the entire time and the food was good.
Sunday I went to another party with people I actually like, although I still felt awkward.
I meant to catch up on whinemas last night, but I'm blaming my failure to do so squarely on Steph for introducing me to griddlers - curse you, Steph! (and thanks, cause they're fun :) )
3 Comments:
I think Whinemas is my favorite holiday of all. I'm so glad that it doesn't have to end!
Happy Whinemas!
I'm always happy to corrupt my friends ... so, enjoy!
But .... must .... make .... self .... type .... sub .... plans .... not .... surf .... web .... fun .... grrrr .....
Post a Comment
<< Home