(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Monday, December 26, 2005

freaky book update

I talked to my dad today. He also got me a USB VoIP phone for Christmas, which is cool, except that after not having spoken to him for a few months, I was already out of things to say within 20 minutes of him doing most of the talking. Luckily, skype has the option to be invisible.
Sadly, the worst case scenario seems to be true. He did actually read the book before getting me a copy. He didn't come right out and say he believed it all, but he did say it had "a lot of interesting stuff in there". It sounds like he's working his way through his wife's fairly large library of mystical/new age/SF books (she actually makes a distinction between the first two and the last categories). He also talked about wanting to get "the Poisonwood Bible" for some friend's missionary kids (for its anti-missionary stance, rather than literary merit) and commented on the uselessness of anti-depressants, saying what helped him was just going overseas and getting out on his bike. I did manage to partially stick up for the benefits of medication, but I'm kind of wishing I hadn't warned him that I didn't notice the mennonite missionary sponsorship of the recipe book I got him until I'd already got it home. It might have been fun to see his reaction if he thought I was trying to convert him...
The awkward conversation about anti-depressants came about because he'd heard that I was taking them earlier in the year. I'm not sure if he brought it up purely to promote the merits of cycling, or to say he hoped I could talk to him. Maybe he realised that the previous phone call's tactic of asking if I was okay twice wasn't enough to get me to open up.
Am I supposed to be able to have long conversations with my dad? I feel mean for dreading the idea of frequent contact, but I have nothing to say.

2 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, Lucy. I'm sorry. Even going to other side of the world hasn't been far enough, has it?

Whatever the reason he brought it up, his comments about antidepressants were inappropriate. There are lots of other ways to show support, if that was what he was trying to do.

Your family is very lucky that you always give them the benefit of the doubt. I wish you were as lucky.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

every time I post something like this, I end up avoiding replying to the comments because it would require thinking about things I don't really want to deal with... Phantom, yours especially always make me cry. It's probably too late now but I really do appreciate the comments. I'm sorry for not responding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home