(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Pop Quiz

1. where would Lucy find either:
a) glucose syrup (5 points)
or:
b) pre-made fondant icing containing no corn syrup whatsoever (10 points)

Extra credit:
c) glace/candied cherries containing no corn syrup whatsoever (10 points)

(full marks will only be awarded for answers in the form of a place Lucy can get to by foot or public transport)

2. Lucy walks home through the undergrad campus and hears two people discussing how cool their Blackberries are. They also sound amazed that the use of "dial" for entering a telephone number came about because telephones actually used to have a dial! How old are the two people? (2 points)

3. If Lucy usually gets x visitors per day and Phantom includes 13(!) links to her site in the fabulous Whining Carnival, how many visitors did Lucy get on Wednesday? (5 points)

4. Persons a and b live in Commonwealthland at point A1, person c at A2, person d at B1 and person e at C1. The time difference between here and C'land region A is x hours, region B is x-3 hours and region C is x+1 hours. Persons a, b and c will be out on Christmas eve until 11pm (all times are local), and xmas day from 11am-5pm and in the same place on Christmas day between 11pm xmas eve and 11am xmas day. The whereabouts of persons d and e are unknown. What time(s) should Lucy call in order to maximise number of people spoken to and hours of sleep and minimise number of phone calls? (20 points)

5. Please write a script for use in Filemaker Pro that will calculate the line of best fit for each subset of records, then determine the perpendicular distance of each record from the line of best fit for the subset it falls into, both in absolute terms and number of standard deviations. (50 points)

If anyone gets question 1 right, you're welcome to a piece of the resulting Christmas Cake.

4 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh no! I knew I should have done the reading before coming to class today!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

don't worry, it's an open book, no time limit exam. Plus, I'll give you the answers to all the other questions if you just answer #1...

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I realized I couldn't help you with #1 when I realized that I didn't know what "fondant" was.

If it's not at Whole Foods, I don't know where it is.

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

actually, I didn't know what it was called either. I had to ask my mum for the name so I could have any chance of finding it. Maybe I'll just have to have a double layer of marzipan instead :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home