50 books
I could count how many movies I saw last year because I always keep my ticket stubs, but I have no idea how many books I read, so this year I'd like to keep track. I noticed quite a few people had a goal of reading 50 books during the year, so I'm starting with that (although given I'm already up to book 5, I hopefully won't have any trouble reaching that goal).
1. Educating Alice by Alice Starnbach. This was a Christmas present from a friend so I wanted to like it, but I found the author's tone too patronising and self-satisfied. It was about her adventures travelling to different countries and taking some kind of class so she had plenty of opportunity to describe things she did badly, but somehow she still came off as thinking she was fabulous. What I particularly disliked were the times she made a sweeping generalisation about a culture or nationality that was favourable to herself and then said she had no reason to believe it was true, but she liked the idea so she'd believe it.
2. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Another book I was expecting to like since everybody raves about it, even my housemate who only really loves George Eliot. I was even stopped by some random guy on my way home tonight who was so eager to discuss its fabulousness his greeting was "do you love it?". Unfortunately, I had to admit I was sadly disappointed. I'm actually still going on it because I'm not loving it at all, but I don't hate it enough to give up. I'm completely missing the humour, though. Is the joke just that Ignatius is so delusional in his offensiveness?
3. A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter. This was very sweet, but ultimately Elnora was a bit too much of a Mary-Sue for me to like her wholeheartedly. I much prefer Anne Shirley or Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (I can't remember her actual last name).
4. Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. Finally a book I loved! I've always been a sucker for boarding school stories and, as you may have noticed, I have a preference for heroines who are suitably insecure. I actually went to the library to try to find a print copy of A Girl of the Limberlost since the online version let me read 5 chapters before refusing to work, but I'd forgotten the children's section closes early so I needed another teenage girl story. I wasn't particularly expecting to like this book since I read a bad review of it at one point, but the main character's insecurities were almost alarmingly close to my own (when there's a thief in the dorms she wonders if maybe it's actually her even though she can't remember stealing anything, she needs a special, enthusiastic invitation before she'll begin to believe it might possibly be okay for her to join in a group activity etc). Of course, she gets over most of them eventually, unlike me, but I still liked it a lot. It was a good book to read on Thursday when I was already feeling miserable about all my ignoring of research finally starting to catch up with me, plus I'm always miserable the night before I have a therapy appointment (this time especially, since the previous appointment was fairly disastrous). I tend to apply the logic my parents used to use on Christmas Eve (ie that the sooner you go to sleep, the sooner morning will come) and stay up as late as possible. I also had multiple awkward interactions on the way home (another random guy at the library asked me where to find the books, I stared at him blankly and asked "which books?" before he explained it was a joke and then tried to make conversation while I tried to figure out why he was talking to me and how I could escape to find my book; I also had to drop the keys back to the cat owners and they had made me brownies (sadly, with ginger) and cookies, but I still barely managed to say 2 sentences to them) so all in all I was glad to have a book to read that made me realise that at least I have fictional company in freakdom. Although, after reading many books like this, the fact that my issues are so typically adolescent makes the recognition less comforting.
Incidentally, the therapy appointment was remarkably painless, since she just asked stuff about where my family was from and the differences between various Commonwealthlands and the US. She actually thought we were making progress since I could actually answer her questions, though. She seemed so heartened that I would have felt bad bursting her bubble so maybe it was lucky I couldn't explain why it wasn't really any improvement...
8 Comments:
I really liked Prep, too. I read it right after reading I am Charlotte Simmons, which had some overlapping themes (small town girl goes away to college where the students have a lot more money and are from a higher social class culture so the girl struggles to fit in, but this book is about college rather than boarding school), and I thought Prep was an infinitely better book because the portrayal of the main character felt more real and honest to me.
I'm starting to feel miserable with all of my ignoring of work, too. Maybe reading a book in the evenings would help. Good idea.
Isn't that the conversation that everybody wants to have with Commonwealthlanders, aside from "say this in your delightful accent" kind of pestering?
And dang it, Lucy! Have I not made it clear that I have too many books already? Why must you tempt me to add more to my "Books" bookmark folder, there to wait in their temptingly appealing glory until an online splurge hits? Sigh...
Is Charlotte Simmons worth reading at all, B*?
Sheepish, I was helping you - I just listed three books you don't need to buy! And, yeah, the reason I was able to answer her questions was that I've had the exact same conversation about C'land about a million times. Although, I did have to step in and defend closer-C'land as well against claims that it's identical to the US, and I don't think she believed me.
I don't think I believe you either. ;)
And thanks for the help, I guess, although I added Prep to my list.
my arguments may not have been persuasive because I was relying on what I've been fed by my closer-C'landian friends - you mean I shouldn't believe them? Is closer-C'land (I really should've come up with an easier pseudonym) a traitor to the former empire??
I think you definitely need to start borrowing from the library. It's much cheaper if you only buy the ones you already know you like.
Lucy - I would actually say that I Am Charlotte Simmons is only worth reading if you want to mock it. If I had read Prep FIRST (which I didn't know about until I found it at the library), I would have been totally disappointed in Charlotte Simmons. That said, even though Charlotte Simmons is a long book, it's a quick read. When I was reading it, I was mocking it most of the time at how hilarious it is that some old white dude was trying to get inside the heads of college students and failing miserably. It was like watching a train wreck; I wanted to see how weird the book got.
I may be in the mood for a train wreck to mock at some point, so thanks for the review!
thanks for the recommendations, Academic Coach! I agree that Prep wasn't really one of the best books of the year but it definitely resonated with me. Did it match your experience at all?
Post a Comment
<< Home