(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Monday, January 16, 2006

Music reviews

The maze story post started out as part of what I was thinking about writing for this post. I was thinking about the Music I Can't Live Without and what makes some music so powerful at keeping demons at bay. It's usually some combination of an achingly sweet melody, a smooth singing voice and the lyrics (there's one song I'll listen to on repeat just for the line "honey child, I miss you just the same" even though the meaning is the opposite of the words). Actually, now that I tried to specify the criteria, I can think of way too many exceptions. Some songs are just soothing for no apparent reason. Listening to them makes me feel at peace with myself right now, not at some future point when I've magically become a better person. Of course the feeling only lasts as long as the song, but sometimes that's enough, and if I can assemble enough of them into a playlist I can stretch the feeling out long enough to regain the composure to cope when the music stops.
On Scrivener's recommendation, I downloaded the Decemberists' Picaresque from emusic (like iTunes, but cheaper and with cooler music). At first I was disappointed. I still don't like the first song on the album much and the singer's voice sounds a bit harsh on my ears. As the album progressed though, it grew on me more and more (I think my second favourite song is Ella's favourite, although I hadn't listened closely to the lyrics until that post). And then it got to the last song, Of Angels and Angles, and I was in love. This is one of the best of those songs I was trying to describe above, I just wish it were longer. I've been trying not to play it too much, in case some of the heart-stopping beauty wears off before I really need it. Thanks for plugging the Decemeberists so much, Scrivener!
Emusic gives you 40 songs as a free trial (if you'd like to try it and get 50 songs instead, email me and I'll send you a link - disclaimer: I also get free songs that way) so I also got Arcade Fire's Funeral (which amazon has been recommending to me all year), The New Pornographers' Twin Cinema, which I also love (and they're touring with Belle and Sebastian! Yay!) and The Beginning Stages of the Polyphonic Spree, which is gorgeous (they have a cute game, too).
After getting all that music for free, I felt I owed it to them to sign up for a month at least (only $10 for 40 songs, though. Sorry if this is coming across as a big ad...) so now I'm trying to decide between getting the remaining back catalogues of Belle and Sebastian and Elliott Smith or more new stuff. (I tend to categorise my music the same way as books - by some amorphous theme that only makes sense in my mind so I was surprised the site kept insisting Elliott Smith and Belle and Sebastian were similar. Elliott Smith goes with Radiohead and other depressingly beautiful bands in my internal catalogue, and Belle and Sebastian with the happy hand-clap/kiddie-shout bands)
The only problem with emusic is they only have a subset of albums by bands I like so now I'm very tempted to buy more CDs too...

10 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have a link! Pick me, pick me! Assuming it works outside North America - it might not. We only just got access to iTunes.

my email is sillsbend at gmail.com

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

you should get an email from emusic with my real name. They do have the option in the credit card form to change the country so I hope it works.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

I'm too lazy to go and look at the site. What file format are the songs, and how do they work the digital rights management? Those two issues are my biggest beefs with iTunes (followed rapidly by excessive pricing for what you actually get).

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

they're mp3 files so you can play them with anything (from the site: Unlike other services that severely restrict portability, eMusic allows members complete flexibility to burn CDs, transfer to MP3 devices and make multiple copies for personal use.) You can redownload songs without paying again, in case you lose them, too. Is that what you were asking? I've never actually downloaded anything from iTunes so I'm not sure what their restrictions are like.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, how funny Lucy! I had the exact same reaction to the Decembrists -- the singer's voice grates on my ears. But on Sunday while the kiddos were away, I finally sat down and listened to Her Majesty the Decembrists. And it did sort of grab me, even while I resisted it.

Then, today, while feeling very stressed, I suddenly had "Los Angeles, I'm Yours" pop into my head. Sure enough, one listen made me feel better.

I bought some things from emusic years ago, and was very happy with it -- don't know why I'd forgotten about them. Thanks for reminding me!

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I just checked and they don't remember my old account. If I can get you more free songs by re-registering through your link, send it to me!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

oh, how cool, they have a song for Myla Goldberg (whose book I just read) on that album!
I'm trying to convince myself to like Devendra Banhart's voice too, after mentions by you and Scrivener, but it's still a little grating...
(link/email thingy sent, too)

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Scrivener said...

You're welcome!

My introduction to the Decmeberists was the single "July, July!" which I loved instantly. So I purchased Her Majesty, the Decemberists and listened to it a few times and thought it was pretty good but not as good as I'd thought it would be. So I put it back on the shelf and listened to other stuff. But a friend had said they had an absolutely live show, and I saw they were coming to town, so I bought tickets and brought that friend. By the time the night was over, I was a fan. I went home and listened to her Majesty again, and it sounded so much better. So then I got Picaresque and started talking them up a lot.

I think a lot of the music I'm loving these days is of a sort that it has to grow on me. I don't know enough to explain why that is. Maybe it's that it's complex enough that I have to kind of sort it out on multiple listens first? Or maybe it's just different enough from what's generally played on the air that I have to keep getting used to it? I'm open to other explanations of the dynamic.

I am glad you like the album. There are other songs of theirs like "Angels and Angles" on their earlier albums--the ones that first come to mind are "Myra Goldberg" and "California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade."

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

Ok, Lucy, I'm convinced. Hook me up!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

thanks for the song recommendations, Scrivener. I definitely like them more and more as I keep listening. I think on first listening things I don't like seem more obvious (like the harshness of the singer's voice), but after a while I get used to that and can hear the other elements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home