(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

so that's what this "work" thing is

I have shocking news! I actually arrived at lab this morning (!) at 9am (!!). I can't remember the last time I did that. But that isn't all! I didn't even pull out my own computer (with its helpful bookmarks and bloglines notifier) until well after lunch, and I didn't even open bloglines until after 5pm (!!!). I don't think I've been this diligent in many months. I was going to say productive, but I'm not sure I actually have anything concrete to show for it, although it was very helpful. My advisor discovered yesterday that supplementary data for a grant was due today (that sounded like one of my excuses, but apparently that's how things work) and since my data was in pretty poor shape I spent most of yesterday reanalysing. After my advisor left for the day I realised the results I'd got pretty much sucked so we spent all day today figuring out a better way to pull something useful out of my hideously bloated database. We ended up with enough to put in the grant, but I'm still not sure what to do next. Oh well, maybe I can try this again tomorrow.

11 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

YAY! I long for a productive day. This morning is shot, so perhaps this afternoon?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

That's the way science goes, I think. Bursts of productivity interspersed with long periods of moping around. At least that's the way science goes for me.

B* - maybe you'd be making more progress if you weren't hanging out reading blogs? Nahhhh, silly idea. Forget I said anything. :)

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

sheepish, I'm not sure you realise how little I'm embellishing my usual lack of work. I'm pretty sure your periods of "moping" don't involve 8 solid hours of blogreading a day for weeks on end...
B*, I hope your afternoon goes well!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

um, how can I take a comment about not reading blogs seriously when clearly the commenter is also reading blogs in order to make the comment!?

oh, wait. it's the afternoon and I'm commenting. Someone needs to call me out! (but don't call me out in the morning... call me out on my own terms 'n' stuff)

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

but do you see sheepish, coming back to check on responses to the first comment? I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that afternoon starts after lunch, but I better not see you back here again today, young lady!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

um, he wasn't back because he was teaching, that's all. oh, wait. I'm not supposed to be here! *hiding*

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

Yeah. I'm totally teaching right now. And I didn't come back sooner because Blogger was being pesky slow.

Hey, why don't y'all work already? It's prime work time out in the EST, but I'm on my (extended) lunch break here in the PST, yo. Oh wait. If you don't leave the house before noon, like B*, then maybe you get to have lunch in the middle of the afternoon?

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

totally. I had lunch at like 2:30 EST because I had breakfast at 10:30 EST. I did leave the house at noon-ish (actually 12:20 p.m., if you must now), but not to work. To exercise.

I'm still on winter break!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I wasn't the one saying I was going to be productive today, or at least I didn't mean it. I guess I should do something before my advisor comes back, though...

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I did do a bit of research. I wish it had been a bunch rather than a bit.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I'm glad you got some research done, B*. Good luck with it today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home