Annika's casserole campaign
I'm pretty sure I don't have any readers who don't also read Phantom or Andrea's blogs, but just in case one of you random link-followers or googlers would like to help a delightful girl and her family, here's another link to follow.
I've been reading Moreena's blog since October or so. I read some of the archives and knew that Annika has a congenital liver disease and had already gone through two liver transplants, but the first few entries I read were simply beautifully-written stories of two little girls, birthdays and halloween. Then, in November, Annika was rushed to hospital and after months of complications has only just been allowed home again. She is still facing the prospect of another transplant, once she's well enough to cope with the surgery. Last week, her parents found out that their insurance had reached its yearly limit already. Phantom and Andrea and others have organised an online fundraising campaign to help with medical bills. The information page is here, or you can go directly to the COTA donation page here (in the donor designations field scroll down to "COTA for Annika Tiede").
PPB also had the lovely idea of a virtual casserole campaign. The idea is to plan a meal you might make for the family and post the recipe. Instead of actually making it, add up the cost of the ingredients and donate that amount.
I haven't ever commented on Moreena's blog, because of the unexplored neurosis that makes me completely freak out and withdraw in response to other people's crises, but I can send a virtual meal:
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie (much better than the meat version I used to make, although it is more complicated)
Apple Crumble
apples
cinnamon
flour
brown sugar
butter
This is the dodgiest recipe ever, but really it works fine for me without knowing any unimportant details like amounts or temperatures or cooking times...
Stew the apples with cinnamon. Mix roughly equal amounts of flour and brown sugar with enough butter to make it crumbly and some more cinnamon (use your fingers). Put the apples in a baking dish, sprinkle with crumble mixture and bake in the oven until it looks cooked. Serve with ice cream or custard.
1 Comments:
Thank you, Lucy.
Post a Comment
<< Home