(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

betrayed by bookslut

I love the bookslut blog and get most of my new fiction recommendations there, so I was interested to see this month's issue had a feature on Middle Eastern books. Since I was disappointed by the Kite Runner, I was hoping they'd have some better suggestions. The fact that the Kite Runner was the first book pictured put me off a little, but I figured they had to mention it at least. I was expecting snarkiness, but instead got a glowing review! I haven't bothered reading the rest of the article, since I obviously can't trust the writer's taste. At least it wasn't written by either of the bloggers. Neither of them actually offered an opinion on the book that I can find, but that was where I found the link to the slate review I agreed with, and this sentiment from Michael Schaub is more suggestive of what I was expecting:
Starbucks plans to start selling books.

The final part of the strategy to move into the entertainment world is to put books on sale later this year, either through a partnership with an existing publishing house or by printing books itself.

Unless this means I can add hazelnut syrup to my copy of The Kite Runner, or whatever the fuck people are buying by the crate now, I remain unimpressed.

You'd think from my harping on the book, that I really hated it, but it wasn't dreadful, just mediocre.

2 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh to kiterunner! I know of several really good books about the middle east, should you be interested. However, they are non-fiction. Snow (which bookslut mentions) is supposed to be good. He pissed Turkey off, so that's a plus. The bookseller or Kabul and the Storyteller's daugher are both supposed to be good, though I've not read either of them. For a devastatingly good book, read The price of honor by Jan Goodwin. Non fiction, but brilliant. I read sections over and over.

And, now I have to confess something: I kind of like that starbucks will sell books. Here is why: I often like their music selections so that makes me think they might find interesting, "under known" books by youngish writers.
(hides)

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

thanks for the recommendations! That's cool that starbucks has interesting music. I would've thought a big multinational would have more populist taste, but in any case, it was the snarkiness against the kite runner that I was appreciating, rather than against starbucks. Although, my snobbishness still tells me that if starbucks is popular enough to have one few hundred metres, it can't be good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home