books #15-21
15. Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney. I liked it. Not much to say about it, though.
15 1/2. Music for Mechanics (Love and Rockets volume 1) by los Bros Hernandez. It's only half a book because I didn't finish it. It didn't have enough continuity to hold my attention and the individual bits weren't interesting enough on their own.
16. The Bone People by Keri Hulme. I loved this book so much! I don't know why it's taken me so long to write this post, since I've been wanting to rave about the book since I finished it. I was a bit dubious when I read the introductory note about it having non-standard grammar etc, but it was so good! I think I even liked it enough to kick Cryptonomicon off my literary speed dating list, except that I don't think it would create the right impression... The language is beautiful and the characters are wonderfully real and complex. I was worrying about them even while I wasn't actually reading it. Their speech patterns started incorporating themselves into my inner voice as I read, too (I still keep finding myself thinking "E (name)" and "berloody"). Phantom mentioned the book in a comment to my post about asexuality as an example of a character who wanted "love and human connections" without being sexual (thanks Phantom!). I actually found myself identifying more at times with Simon, the kid who doesn't talk (although he was far more expressive with sign language and writing than I ever am), especially in the scene where he realises Kerewin has heard him singing and he's terrified of what the consequences might be. The three main characters' inner voices are written so well that I couldn't help feeling for all of them as they worked through the misunderstandings to negotiate their relationships. I'm not sure I could read it again too soon, since it is rather disturbing and heart wrenching, but as Alice Walker's blurb on the cover says: "this book is just amazingly, wondrously great".
17. Fables and Reflections (Sandman volume 6) by Neil Gaiman. I'm still slowly working my way through the 10 sandman volumes. I'm not sure why I feel the need to ration this series and not his novels. It would probably be more helpful to read them all straight through so I have a chance of remembering all the characters.
18. 1988 by Andrew McGahan. You'd think reading about other people's incredibly pointless lives (6 months spent drinking at a remote weather station) would make me feel better about my own, but I just ended up feeling even more sluggish. It was somehow an enjoyable read though, despite the many incidents that were built up to be potential life-altering, character-building moments, which the protagonist then either messed up or just ignored. I'm not sure if the ending was meant to be hopeful or just another such non-event. It was vaguely similar to Bright Lights, Big City in that regard, actually.
19. Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I think I'm about ready to give up on reading classic literature. I'm finding the narrative voice just as irritating here as in the many long diversions on the evils of atheism and the character of the russian peasant that ruined the Brothers Karamazov for me. It doesn't help that he's addressing the reader and ascribing annoying straw man arguments to "you" so he can rant about the laws of nature and determinism. Does it improve and actually develop some plot at any point or should I give up now?
20. Kidding Ourselves: Breadwinning, Babies and Bargaining Power by Rhona Mahony. I think Bitch, PhD mentioned this book recently (it was actually in a comment here), which is why I picked it up. I felt a bit of an imposter reading it somehow, given the aforementioned posts on asexuality etc, but it was very interesting. It was basically the same idea as that essay everyone hated about how women should study useful things and marry down (the title and author of which I've now forgotten), but minus most of the "selfish women who don't do this are ruining things for everyone" angle. I took the argument in this case to be more about how, as an individual, to balance the negotiating power that the husband generally gets by default thanks to societal norms, if you don't want to do full-time childcare and most of the housework.
updated to add, since I just finished it and don't want to wait for the next book post:
21. The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis. This is Jessa at Bookslut's best book of 2006 (yes, already) so since I trust her judgement (unlike certain columnists) I had to read it (one of her best books of 2005 was Francine Prose's A Changed Man, which I liked a lot, too). Jessa's review is much more articulate than anything I'll write. It's beautifully written and, like the Bone People, does multiple view points (including those of dogs, a beaver and corn) very well, although there are a lot of different view points so they weren't as fully developed and I didn't get so attached to any of them. It starts kind of slowly, but builds in intensity until the end. I think I've rejected one of Davis' previous novels, The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf, in the past because I kept getting it confused with a terrible book I once read with a similar title, but I'm going to have to read more of her work.
Labels: books
6 Comments:
I will have to look into The bone people. Amazon.com suggests Once were warriors to accompany it, and that is one of my favorite movies (seriously depressing, seriously amazing).
Don't give up on classic literature! There are definitely more engaging things than Dostoevsky... I have to say I've never been really caught up by him - perhaps the translations I've read leave something to be desired? If you're talking Russians, I've liked Tolstoy, Turgenev, Bulgakov better than Dostoevsky. ok.
Once Were Warriors is one of the most depressing books I have ever read, and that's saying a lot. I shudder just looking at the book on the shelf.
I'm so glad that you loved The Bone People, though! I'm generally quite shy about recommending books, as I'm convinced that no one else in the universe is odd enough to share my taste. I hadn't thought about the mutism angle with Simon in regard to you, but now that you mention it can I pretend that I did, so that I'll seem super-brilliant and thoughtful?
Once Were Warriors is on my netflix queue, but now I'm kind of scared of it...
I'm sure you were thinking of it subconsciously, Phantom :) Any other book recommendations for me? I keep wanting to add disclaimers to my book posts, in case people actually read something because I liked it and then blame me for it not really being good...
Kermit, I realised after I wrote the post that all the classic books I've been less than enthused about lately were Dostoevsky, so I should be more open minded. I remember liking Crime and Punishment, though. Maybe I was just a pretentious 18 year old and therefore enjoyed pretentious arguments... I also didn't especially love any of the Brontes' books, thereby earning the scorn/pity of my only RL literary academic friends.
And I didn't provide you with a meme!
I think the entry was probably long enough without adding memes, this time :)
Post a Comment
<< Home