(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

excuse the ramblings

I've been feeling twinges of guilt at what I wrote in those 2 posts yesterday, so I went back to check what I'd actually said and in reading over it, I realised how hideously stuck up I sound, so, um, sorry about that. I hope I didn't offend or annoy anyone.

The thing I was particularly worried about was what I wrote about being bored with my friends in high school. I felt bad for saying that because they were nice people, I just never had anything to say (pretty close to literally). I ended up being part of the group because 2 of them lived near me and we walked to school together. In the beginning, they were the only people I knew, and then I couldn't possibly stop being friends with someone because that would be mean. So I spent 5 years sitting in silence (or laughing at other people's jokes) and feeling defective for not having anything to say. It only occurred to me in the last few months of grade 12 that I could go and talk to other people occasionally, who I might actually have something in common with, but then someone asked why I was rejecting my old friends after so long...
Kermitthefrog commented on the last post about never experiencing "late-night philosophical conversations". That's something I would have/still would love to be part of, too, but I never figured out how to find the kind of people who would have interesting conversations like that. Of course, it's not like I contributed anything much to discussion; I guess I wish I was the kind of person who would have discussions like that. Probably my friends from uni, who are very cool and smart, have much more interesting discussions with other people. I was excited when I got here, to see for myself that such discussions actually happened, though, and I briefly thought maybe I could join in. Unfortunately, since I have no opinions, or at least none I can articulate verbally, I still didn't participate. I did hang out and listen to others' debates occasionally, but being a silent observer is pretty awkward.
I guess this is why I like the blogosphere so much. I can read all your thoughtful and intelligent posts and comment and feel like I have something to say. Of course, I still often feel like I'm the same awkward observer of the cool kids, except now I'm being annoying by trying to horn in on the discussion, and probably talking too much.

6 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

I still often feel like I'm the same awkward observer of the cool kids, except now I'm being annoying by trying to horn in on the discussion, and probably talking too much.

Right, because everyone hates comments? That, of all things, isn't something you need to worry about.

I didn't read your posts as sounding stuck up - just sounded like you were musing on your motivation, scholastic ability, and friends. Plus, vikings are cool.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

Lucy - one of the things that's so cool about the blogosphere is that you can write posts like yours and Andrea's and get people agreeing, and sympathizing, and telling stories of their own. Even if I also still kind of feel like an awkward observer, we are all nerds. I hope. Because I'm definitely not a cool kid. :)

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're kidding, right? What are you apologizing for? They were fine!

IN fact, I'm about to put up yet another post of my own on the subject. You got me thinking. That can't be a bad thing.

Or ... (cue sinister music) ... can it?

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

sheepish, comments are one thing, but sometimes it seems kind of arrogant and presumptuous to put up big, long posts over here and expect anyone to read them. I know I'm not forcing anyone to, but still...

kermit, yeah, it is cool, I just feel like I'm tricking you into coming over here and commenting somehow...

Andrea :) it's a good thing if you write more; I'm looking forward to reading it.

I was cringeing reading over what I'd written, so I'm glad it didn't seem so bad to you...

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Of course, I still often feel like I'm the same awkward observer of the cool kids, except now I'm being annoying by trying to horn in on the discussion, and probably talking too much.

Hey! That's exactly how I feel about this whole blogging thing. Having just started my blog about a month ago, it feels a bit like I've just moved to a new school and all the cool kids have friends already. So I kind of hover around the discussions injecting a comment now and then, and imagine they all turn and give me A Look, then get back to what they were talking about.

That's why getting commentators on my own blog is so nice. Proves that the big kids like me after all :)

It's so nice to see I'm not the only neurotic one!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's helping people realise they're not the most neurotic person around :)
I think you're already one of the cool kids, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home