I found something more articulate to say, Shrinkykitten
Along with all the behaviours in the “why?” post, I’m also getting sick of my habit of avoiding thinking about anything too much by just saying “I don’t know” (or using my latest overused word “I don’t have anything articulate to say about that”). I made myself go back and change that part of what I wrote about the Bone People, but I didn’t bother too much with the other books. Yesterday, Shrinkykitten wrote a post about a woman who was disgusted with her former (larger) self. I left a silly comment and once again avoided thinking about it too deeply, but when I started thinking about the email I’m supposed to send my therapist this week (and the related question in the why? post) I realised I should’ve thought about Shrinky’s post more. I have not-insignificant issues with food and weight, but the same kind of behaviour also applies much more generally.
In some ways I’m sabotaging my therapy process because the end result I should be aiming for is to be free of (or at least not controlled by) the many irrational beliefs and behaviours I have now. That might not sound like such a bad thing, but the problem is that I don’t want to have to look back at current-me and be rational about admitting how messed up I am. My whole problem now is basically that letting anyone know anything about me seems incredibly dangerous, and that fact is the most dangerous one of all to reveal. Presumably, the potential rational-me would have overcome these fears and be able to talk about current-me’s issues, so why would I want to let her come into being and ruin my carefully protected fortress of solitude? In that sense, even the smallest step towards being less neurotic is equivalent to announcing all my secrets to the world.
The only way current-me could allow rational-me to exist would be to deny current-me ever existed, or at least heap scorn and derision on her to demonstrate how completely different rational-me is. Unfortunately, as Shrinkykitten said in her post, that’s not exactly healthy behaviour, either.
I already do this to former-me (who was completely insane by the way, unlike me, who is merely very messed up). There are things former-me did that make me feel almost physically ill to think about (although they’re (probably?) not as bad as the things you’re now imagining…). I started writing a post 2 weeks ago in an attempt to exorcise some of those demons, but then I got distracted by the posts about being bored at school (damn). I don’t know how to reconcile the former-me who did such idiotic things with the me who just wants to shake her and yell “what were you thinking? How could you let that happen? How could you possibly not realise that was a huge mistake??”
I said in a previous post that “if it's achievable, I should already have figured it out by now.” I meant it as a joke, or at least to be perceived that way, but it actually seems true. I was wondering why I don’t want to let my therapist know that I’m not completely incapable of recognising my thoughts and motivations. It’s because it’s somehow more acceptable to be completely ignorant than to have all the information and still not do anything about it (this is exactly the same as my response when I was 5 to not recognising the picture of a pen knife – if it had been something I had seen before I would’ve been much more upset at getting it wrong. I hate to think what effect that would have had on my psyche, given that as it is, I still remember the unfairness of it counting against me 20 frickin’ years later…). I know it’s self-defeating to make it as difficult as possible to change, but I can’t let it be too easy or I’ll have to confront the reasons I didn’t do anything sooner.
8 Comments:
Oh, Lucy. I wish I could find some way to help you believe that you don't have to be critical of yourself all the time.
But you're right that it's a very, very difficult part of the process to learn how to forgive yourself for having done cringe-worthy things. I've been there, for sure (like, for sure really!). I bet most of us have.
I will say something more substantive later, but allow me to be all self-involved for a moment. (like the use of "all"?). I quite like that my ramblings seem so profound when filtered through your thought processes. Perhaps we ought, like, co-blog. I know you're thinking, "Excellent" in a sartastic kind of way (misspelling intentional).
Did you ever notice that blogger suggests you "choose an identity" in order to post your comment? It makes it sound so easy to choose a new identity. Like I could just click a cute little "other" radio button and do anything I like.
It's a lot easier to realize you should be forgiving to yourself than it is to actually, you know, forgive yourself. 'N' stuff. I was just musing on that earlier tonight.
although they’re (probably?) not as bad as the things you’re now imagining
You mean you DIDN'T used to club baby seals???
Hi Lucy:
I've been reading your comments over at Decompostion & thought I'd stop by. What a day to stop by!
Let me tell you something. I have two small children. And they change, and change, and change. Their character is always the same, of course, but they learn and grow nonstop. Watching them has helped me figure out how to forgive myself. I would never hold my son responsible for something he did a year ago, when he didn't know any better; just so, I can forgive myself for something I did 10 years ago, when I was young and naive.
Does that help? I don't know...
Delurking here to say, with perhaps waaaay too much presumptuousness (is that a word?): as someone who has myself been *crippled* by self-consciousness and managed to work my way out of it (only during and after grad school), I think it's important to recognize the enormous difference between "recognizing [one's] thoughts and motivations" and talking about them, face to face, with someone. Because, at least for me, what you learn by finally putting yourself out there, and having a live audience, is that, nasty as they may be, your demons really aren't going to shock, surprise or alienate your audience as much as you think. And, perhaps more importantly, in gaining a kind of "rational" power over them, you also realize that the "rational you" isn't in the end so entirely different from the "messed up" you, just freer, less paralyzed, less tortured. And this is entirely a good thing, because the "messed up" you is, from my readerly perspective, an *extremely* interesting, thoughtful, intelligent person who is unfortunately, for whatever reasons, paralyzed by (irrational) self-doubt and fear of exposure. I guess my main point is, there's just not as much at stake in exposing yourself as you think there is! Anyway, I'm not sure that made as much sense as I thought it would... Nuff preaching.
Phantom, I wish I could believe I didn't have to be so critical, too. If only it weren't a chicken/egg kind of problem.
Shrinky, co-blogging would be fun! Want to transform some of my whining into something more interesting? I actually have separate blogger identities for different situations...
Sheepish, it was just the one seal and it was completely an accident, I swear!
Jennifer, thanks for visiting :) Sorry to hit you with such angst on your first visit, although it is actually fairly representative of this blog... Your point about your kids does help, although it's harder to believe I didn't know any better at age 22 than it would be if I were 5.
Cris, -ness can always be added to the end of a word :) Thanks for your comment. I guess you're right about other people not being horrified by things I feel I have to hide. This blog is certainly good for making that point, although I am continually amazed that I haven't scared off all my readers. It's yet to translate to real life, though.
Have you ever thought maybe just 'stuff the therapy' and get on with living? It sounds like you are thinking too much about things, if anything. Counsellors always speak to you as tho you're aged about 12, in my experience, anyway.
yeah, except it's not that easy. It's not the therapy that's making me think about things too much and just getting on with living hasn't worked out so well in the past.
Post a Comment
<< Home