people who are not me
I have the nifty real-name-equivalent of lucy(at)gmail(dot)com (I don't want to sign poor real-lucy up for spam), which made me incredibly happy when I signed up for it. It didn't take long, though, before I realised the downside of such a nice email address, i.e. that other people forget to tack on their random numbers and suffixes when giving out their own addresses. So far, I've got emails from the following:
- someone who so desperately wanted to sign up for their dating service that they re-sent the password at least 6 or 7 times before giving up
- someone who found supposed photos of idiotic rednecks so hilarious he had to send them to 50 of his nearest and dearest
- someone emailing about "Saturday night", who launched into a discussion of his dating woes (possibly he was given the wrong address on purpose?)
- someone who'd paid 80 pounds for a parking permit and then sent it to me
- someone aiming for a government employee from Oregon, who tried 3 or 4 times to convince me that really I was meant to be invited to that meeting on Wednesday, even if it wasn't directly related to my project
- this latest one I already whined about at Phantom's Wednesday Whining. I'm actually not sure I want to recount the full story here, since I already get enough googlers with an unhealthy interest in pigs, as it is... You can read it here (sorry, Phantom!). The short version is someone else signed up for a dating site with my address, so I got a couple of messages from potential suitors before I logged into her account to break the email address. I tried to leave a message for her to explain, but since I wasn't a male of the right age, my message was blocked. Oh well.
3 Comments:
Obviously you need to create a profile of yourself as a 26 year old guy in order to get a message to her!
I guess I was lucky that I had to nab "Phantom.Q.Scribbler" as my "real" gmail account. There seem to be very few other Phantom Q. Scribbers with poor memories for their own email addresses.
Just as well. I once, through random Googling, discovered another Phantom Scribbler who was on trial for manslaughter. Yikes!
Songbird, I think I'm happy with just letting her get frustrated and confused by the lack of responses :)
My real name is common enough that there was another person with the same name at my undergrad uni and many pages of google results before you hit anything relating to me. I quite like the plausible deniability. I don't think there are any criminal Lucy Pig-puppet's though.
Post a Comment
<< Home