yay! sound!
I listen to music on my laptop (whose fan almost constantly makes a loud buzzing noise now) so I'm obviously not a sound quality snob. In fact, when pressed to admire my brothers' fancy speakers in the past, I've been unable to hear the difference. For the last 2 years I've been using headphones I stole off one of the last remaining airlines that have single-pronged headphones (given the small fortune I've paid them in the last couple of years, I think they can afford a pair of crappy headphones). In the last few months they deteriorated to the point where I had to carefully hold the wires in a precise spot and then not breathe for fear of disrupting the connection. I also have a pair of headphones from a 10 year old discman, but they hurt my ears. My brother got me an amazon gift voucher for Christmas (still arrives on time, even if purchased after Christmas begins in his time zone!) so I put a new pair of headphones in my cart right away. It took me until Sunday to get the total up to $25 to avoid paying for shipping, but then I got a free amazon prime trial so they arrived today. I was excited to be able to listen and type at the same time, but I wasn't hoping for more than that, since they were only $14. Obviously, since I've bothered to type a whole entry about this, they exceeded my expectations by far. I can actually hear a big improvement in sound! Now I really need to do something about the fan so that noise doesn't ruin the music.
Also, I'm strangely pleased to see that Kite Runner readers are finding my post comparing it unfavourably with Atonement.
2 Comments:
This post is cracking me up.
As for the fan, there's not much you can do, unless you want to take apart the laptop, dust the fan, and clean the bearings. Otherwise, prop your 'top up so that you get airflow under the laptop (moving air, like from an external fan, is really good too), and it will stay a bit cooler. You can make baffles for the fan with bits of paper to block the highest treble sounds, but that only works marginally well.
glad you enjoyed it :) Thanks for your fan tips! I finally worked up the courage to open the bottom and pulled a big chunk of dust out of the air vents. Now the hideous death rattle is down to a dull whirr! yay!
Post a Comment
<< Home