(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, March 16, 2006

back up the rollercoaster?

Today I was getting thoroughly sick of myself being so whiny and mopy again. I still felt pretty down, but it was a slight improvement. I got to the lab at 10.45! Super early! And I actually managed to talk to my advisor about the tiny bit of work I've done in the past week. The thought of the big batch of stuff he now wants me to do still makes me want to curl up and go to sleep, but I can do the mindless busywork that needs to be done to prepare, at least.
I was going to just go home and hide in my room again tonight, but the tech in my lab who's been applying to grad school kept asking if I was going to the recruiting dinner tonight, so I ended up going along and it was actually fun. I hardly ever see anyone from my program anymore, so it was nice to catch up and the socialising actually made me feel a little better instead of exhausting me, for a change. I didn't even have to hide when I saw someone I kind of know on the bus on the way home, either.
This is another reason I keep thinking I'm making up the depression. I'm back to feeling like I can keep going, without having to hide from my housemates all the time, making my slow, incremental progress and maybe eventually things will get easier. I guess that doesn't sound that happy, but it does feel almost normal.
Now, how long before I end up whining and complaining again? I think the last cycle was a week of feeling okay, two weeks sliding downhill and two weeks being pitiful. I think this okay is still less okay than the last time, though.

4 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

Congrats on getting out and having fun! But that so DOES NOT mean you're making up the depression. That's the source of the cycle you're talking about here, I think...keep feeling like you can keep going AND talk to the meds person! :)

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Argh! Why didn't this feed show up when I refreshed? I've been waiting for a new pig puppet post for 24 hours for NO REASON!

Luckybuzz is totally right: just because the mood lightens a bit and you can cope slightly better does NOT MEAN that you're not depressed. I mean, if I have an allergy headache for five days, and then feel better for a day or two before it starts up again, does it mean that I've just been making up my allergies the rest of the week? Nyet. Non. No way, man.

And neither are you making up your depression.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Gary said...

nice post. It's good that you are doing better,but that doesn't mean your problem is not real. Try to do some as many fun things as you can. Every little bit helps.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Phantom, blogger gave me errors when I tried to post but I didn't have time to redo it, so I didn't think it had actually worked until I started getting comments. Have I been posting frequently enough to create expectations of more posts? I thought I was slacker than that...

Wolfangel, at least when thinking like that makes me depressed again, I feel slightly vindicated :) But it does suck.

I can believe you all that I'm not making it up when I read your comments, but then I convince myself otherwise. Maybe I should carry print outs of your comments around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home