(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

this really ought to be a string of expletives, but I can't bring myself to publish that

I knew today was going to be kind of sucky (appointment with meds person, meeting with strangers), but it has already exceeded my expectations by far...
My meds person has given up on the wellbutrin, so now I'm supposed to taper off it, while she tries to think of some other plan.
I got to the meeting at a building I have no access to and realised my cell phone was dead so I couldn't call my advisor to come and let me in. Instead I had to sneak in with someone who happened to be passing, then try to remember the strangers' names to tell the receptionist who I was looking for. Then, it turned out I was supposed to give the same talk I gave twice last week again, this time to only 2 people (smaller, more personal groups are much scarier than big, anonymous ones). Now I'm supposed to be reanalysing everything all over again.
So, I went looking for a file on my computer and found a text file called "I read your email". I was hoping it was a draft of an email I'd written that got named by the first few words, but no, it's as creepy and horrifying as it sounds. Here's the whole file:
Look, your files are viewable by everyone.
I just turned on my pc and it magically mapped your drives. maybe you want to take a look at that?
The folder the file was in was set to be shared (something I'm pretty sure I didn't do). I made it private again, but I have no idea what else I need to do to prevent people from seeing my files. Does anyone know how I can check if they're still visible? Would that one shared folder let someone into my whole computer? I do have a firewall, but it turns itself off occasionally. Oh, and the worst thing? The file was created in January...
I'm hoping it was some random person on the lab network, who doesn't know me and is not interested in stalking me. I'm pretty sure my housemates would actually tell me, rather than leaving a secret message and I think my labmates would do the same.

10 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

Ooh, I'm sorry Lucy. That is both creepy and annoying, given that you now have to deal with computer security issues (which I can't help with, I can only sympathize). One thing you might want to do is run anti-virus and anti-spyware software on the computer (or if your lab gets tech support, ask one of them how to protect your computer). At least it seems like whoever it was found the folder didn't harm anything. blech!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I have anti-spyware and virus software running that scans every week and it hasn't picked anything up. I'm more freaked out by the possibility that someone might be able to match this blog to the real me, if they went poking around...

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Wow. Scary stuff! I hope that it all turns out ok. Let us know.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

You're on a PC, right? So long as you don't have the C: drive/system folder shared, then it should be impossible for someone on the network to change any settings (save via virus/spyware). That's pretty spooky, to be sure.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Sheepish, yep, I'm on a PC. As far as I can tell, it was only the one folder that was shared (I'm still not sure how that happened, although it was meant to be shared among users on my computer, so maybe I clicked the network part accidentally) and there wasn't anything in that folder I care about, anyway. Plus, it's been a couple of months since whoever it was left the message, so I guess things are okay.
I'm hoping the "I read your email" part was just to get my attention, since my email wasn't in that folder, but it's still pretty creepy.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger lucy tartan said...

eurgh, that sounds fairly horrible. In that situation I'd be straight onto the IT support section at uni. The message does sound kind of generic, though - is there a possibility it's just a bit of mischievousness, annoyiong but not actually a security threat?

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

that would be very creepy at first to me, too. ick ick ick, whoever put that there is an ass, even if it was just to freak you out.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I've calmed down a lot and I'm now assuming the person doesn't know who I am and was just trying to be helpful by letting me know the folder was visible to others.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger jeremy said...

That sounds awful. I'm sorry that happened. You would think someone with a genuine desire to be helpful could be a little gentler than naming a file "I read your email".

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yuck, that would be very creepy.

Maybe you could ask the IT department something non-specific like "I got a message from someone saying they could read my email. I've done x and y to fix it, but can you give me any tips to make sure it doesn't happen again?"

That would definitely creep me out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home