but I'm not that bad, really...
I saw the meds nurse again this morning. I was expecting it to be the usual pointless exchange with me having nothing to say, except that nothing's changed and her suggesting increasing the dosage. She did do that, but apparently my last email to the therapist describing how the depression is affecting my life seemed worse than I thought when I wrote it. She suggested doing some kind of testing, which seems reasonable, but then she started talking about going into hospital, which freaked me out. I'm not that crazy am I? She asked if I wanted to go into hospital and I said no, well, I shook my head at least... So apparently the other option is to just go during the day. It sounded like several whole days, though. What kind of tests take days to do?
Of course, when I walk through the hospital on my way to lab, I often think how nice it would be to be sick and not have to make the effort to do anything. But the reason that's so appealing is that being physically ill is an obvious, guilt- and shame-free excuse for not doing anything. Mental illness doesn't work so well.
I feel like I must've exaggerated or something to make them worry now. I wanted to say I was okay, really. I don't need anything that drastic... I'm fine.
Ironically, here's what I wrote last night:
One of the factors required for recovery in Sensing the Self (book #35) was a sense of enough, as in “Yes, this is enough misery. Yes, you have tried long enough to do this alone. Yes, you are sick enough. Yes, you matter enough”So now I have more attention and I don't want it. The meds nurse made an urgent appointment with the therapist and I'm supposed to go back this afternoon. I'm worried about what she's going to say.
I definitely feel like I need someone else to acknowledge/verify that I do have a problem and it’s bad enough to deserve treatment and I’m not just making it up or wasting their time. I don’t feel like I get that now. I feel like they’re kind of curious about why I can’t talk or feel depressed and meds don’t work, but just in a detached, scientific way, not because they care. (Of course, it seems like a bit much to expect, anyway, that they would care about someone just because they show up at the clinic). I almost wish I had an actual eating disorder to point to as a reason I need help, or even that I could say I’ve thought about suicide, since it seemed like that would get them to notice me and do something. But I don’t have an eating disorder and I’m not suicidal, therefore I don’t really have a bad enough problem, right?
11 Comments:
I can understand your reaction to the attention, but you know that you're doing the right thing, yes? You matter enough, and you deserve to feel better. Going to the hospital, if that's what it takes, doesn't make you crazy. It makes you willing to take care of yourself. Such a hard lesson to learn!
Lucy--what phantom said, totally. You're not exaggerating how you feel. I think this is a good thing, too. It doesn't make you crazy...being willing to get help is a totally positive step, and you're taking care of yourself!
Heck, a lot of people have a similar reaction to going to the doctor for some physical ailment. It's admitting weakness. Ummm, no. It's trying to get healthy.
Does the hospital have wireless? Hmmm, I suppose probably not. 'Cause it'd be nice if you could blog and let us know how you're doing.
wow...she was my therapist for a while. her book is excellent.
i identified with a lot of your post. what you wrote about needing someone else to acknowledge your pain and wondering if you are "legitimate" makes so much sense to me. i struggled (and still struggle) a lot with that - needing someone to know/understand/see how i feel. what i'm trying to accept, ultimately, is that, because i haven't really gotten that and probably won't, *i* need to to take responsibility for how i'm feeling and trying to feel better. because, really, you do sound so miserable and i hope you can manage to matter enough to yourself to get help you need. i think, when it gets to the point when you envy someone with a physical illness, you are really struggling.
(sorry i had to post this anonymously...i have a blog but it's too much information in this comment about me)
Lucy, I'm glad too. And I'm also glad that the decision about whether you have a "bad enough problem" doesn't have to be made by you along, but that you have people like your meds nurse and therapist to intervene. Self-diagnosis is tricky! Keep us posted.
Yes, you do matter enough. Yes, it's bad enough to merit treatment. No, it may not be as bad as some other really bad things (being suicidal, for instance), but if it's something you want to change, it's bad enough. Mental illness is every bit as real as physical illness (it IS a physical illness - I really like Peter Kramer's recent book on depression and highly recommend it; it talks a lot about the actual physical changes that go on during depression). You'll survive the attention - I hope that going into the hospital can help.
(And I know that feeling of wishing I was sick so as not to have to do stuff - I remember years ago driving home late from something, when I was going to have to stay up even later working, and I thought, "You know, if I drove into that underpass, I wouldn't have to worry about this work anymore!" Was nowhere near doing it, but I know that days when I feel like that are bad days.)
I never got thin enough to seek help for an eating disorder.
Plus, my life had this nice dysfunctional pattern to it. Changing would have meant horrible chaos.
Now that I'm fat again, I merely harbor genteel middle class neuroses. I go to pointless therapy as a game.
But I figure that I deserve such indulgences just as much as the self-centered folks who seek out therapy to fan their vanity and who take unnecessary medications to be better than their best. If they can do it and if it makes them happier, then I have just as much of a right to cough up a $25 co-pay for my share of such services.
Lucy, you've been struggling with your illness for a long time, right? If the meds aren't working, then there is something wrong. With your diagnosis, maybe. Tests to find out more clearly what the problem is are a good thing in these circumstances. And as everyone else has said, you completely deserve the occasional good thing too!
Try and think of it as a physical illness as much as you can. There would be no shame in going to the hospital for a few days to have tests on a non-responsive problem with any other part of your body. Why should there be a stigma attached just because the part of you in question is the mind/brain? (I know there is, but there shouldn't be, dammit!)
Anyway, best of luck. I have close friends who have pulled through this and I'm sure you will too. Hugs.
Thank you so much for your comments. It really helped me not to freak out quite so much. *hugs* to you all.
Although, I really wanted to be told of course I wasn't bad enough to need hospitalisation... Do I really sound so very dysfunctional?
First anonymous, I hope you're feeling better now. I know I need to take responsibility myself for how I'm feeling, but it's hard to even convince myself that I deserve to feel any better...
New Kid, I hope those bad days are behind you too! I should really read that depression book. I'm completely convinced of the fact that it's a physical illness for everyone else. I just keep thinking I'm just being a hypochondriac, though...
Second anonymous, I have a nice dysfunctional pattern going, too, I think. Am I just being self-indulgent by going to therapy?
I just missed you, styleygeek! I know you're right, really, but it is hard to actually believe... I think part of the problem is that I pretend to be completely okay, and I think I succeed in convincing most people I'm far more functional than is actually the case, so I feel like it'll seem like I'm just making it up if I suddenly admit the truth.
Self-indulgent? Heck, no! It's called taking care of yourself.
Step outside yourself for a second: If you saw someone you cared about hurting, sad, feeling awful, being depressed, wouldn't you want them to feel better? You deserve to feel better, too! :)
(And even if you did do something self-indulgent: that's ok, too! It's GOOD to treat ourselves well!)
[[[hugs]]]
Post a Comment
<< Home