update
It was weird to be back at the clinic in the afternoon, with lots of people around. I usually go first thing in the morning, in an attempt to get to lab at a reasonable hour, but it has the added benefit of never having to run into anyone going to any of the other health services. I felt bad for the kid behind me in the lift today when he ran into a friend who asked him what he was there for. "Oh, you know... just a check up" he said, before getting off on the mental health floor.
I so didn't want to be there, but it wasn't too bad in the end. I'm still confused about why everything was suddenly so urgent, but I feel a little better. I was scared enough of the prospect of hospital that I managed to answer a couple of non-yes/no questions. From what the therapist said, the "testing" that the meds nurse compared to getting blood tests done was actually a "coping with depression" skills group thing. I still don't want to do that, because I can't tell my advisor that I need to take a week or two off for it. I'm still wondering what I said that made it sound like I can't function at all (maybe admitting I've been eating junk food for dinner, instead of cooking, for weeks because I can't face being in the kitchen with housemates? They seemed to focus on that).
The fact that the therapist didn't seem so set on the hospital idea made me feel a lot better, anyway. She was still worried, though and asked about what medication I'm on. She was very surprised to learn that I'm only taking the ritalin and she also seemed confused that I was taking ADD medication and no anti-depressant. She asked me why and I had no idea. That's what I was given... I did think it was meant to be an anti-depressant, at least.
So now I have an appointment tomorrow with the meds nurse's supervising psychiatrist. The appointment was originally Friday, but she decided it needed to be sooner (again, why is all this suddenly so urgent?). I got the feeling the therapist wasn't at all happy with what the meds nurse has been doing. I'm pretty worried about seeing a new person...
I also have a long list of new appointments with the therapist. She decided that meeting every week for a shorter time would be a better idea, and I'm supposed to email her in between.
I guess I feel better now that they're doing something different and seem more focussed on figuring out what might work better. I don't know why now and not any time over the past year, though.
It was nice to be outside afterwards while it was still daylight. Seeing all the markers of spring that I've missed by hiding in the lab all evening cheered me up, too. There are leaves on the trees and flowers and people walking their dogs and the punks have come out of hibernation. I should really try to leave the lab earlier, since it's not as if I'm doing anything productive anyway.
11 Comments:
lucy, I'm just catching up with the posts of the past few days. I'm sorry you're in such a low place. It sounds like maybe something you said to the meds nurse clued her in to how profoundly depressed you have been. That is a good thing, whether you meant to let her know it or not. I hope now the meds piece of your treatment will be sorted out appropriately. I would encourage you to do as others have suggested below, and share your writing with the therapist. That would give you both the chance to move in a helpful and healthful direction. A good therapist will be grateful to "hear" what is going on inside you and in your day-to-day life, however the information is communicated. Your posts are articulate; if writing is the tool that helps you to focus, it's great to make use of it in helping yourself.
I am VERY glad that the therapist is realizing she needs to do more to be supportive somehow. I don't know why now as opposed to before, but it's good that they care enough to try to take care of you. You deserve to be taken care of.
I'm so glad things are progressing! It sounds to me as though you will now be getting some more helpful attention. As to why now and not previously - well, it sounds as though you are very good at keeping your feelings to yourself and looking much "better" than you feel! Anyway, I really hope that this turns out to help you - I have to think it will be more helpful. Don't worry about the new meds person - after all, it's their job to help people like you! (And me, too, in case that sounded weird!)
I'm so proud of you, Lucy. Really I am. And so happy to hear that they're taking your suffering -- yes, suffering! -- seriously.
I think this is all good, Lucy. Hopefully they'll start giving you the kinds of therapy and meds that work for you. And I'm glad you got to be outside during the day today--it's getting so pretty out, isn't it? :)
I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you feared, and that (plural) you are trying a new approach to figuring out what you need to do to be happier.
I'm with B* -- no matter what is causing this sudden shift, at least you're getting the kind of attention that will hopefully be productive in the long run. Good for you!
I know all this is hard. I am glad to see that steps are being taken to help you feel better. I have not been very productive in the lab lately either...Don't feel bad. Best of luck, hugs, and I will be thinking about you...
Oh, Lucy, this is good news! I am glad you are getting the care you *deserve.*
I had to try a couple of meds before I got the right one. Glad you're going to get the prescription thing sorted out. I hated having to tell my story over and over again to therapists and doctors, but it was worth it when we found the right prescription/dosage. Hope that day comes soon for you, too.
Wow, I skipped a day and look at all I missed! I'm so glad you took the chance and wrote your therapist a message. Given how articulate you are as a writer, I'm not surprised at the new sense of urgency. You've been suffering, girl, and you shouldn't have to be. That simple. I'm rooting for you!
I'm glad they're finally treating it urgently, however it happened; and I hope they are able to help you soon.
Post a Comment
<< Home