why did I do that?
I just went and stupidly said I was free to join housemates for a dinner party, then I freaked out again and realised that I've procrastinated long enough today that I won't get my lab work done until too late, which gives me a handy excuse to get out of it after all, but now housemate has emailed me back saying he's "really glad" I can join them, so I feel too guilty to use the excuse... Of course, I'll end up just sitting like a silent lump in the corner, not giving anyone a reason to care one way or the other whether I'm there, anyway.
6 Comments:
Well, maybe you should go to the dinner--even if you don't talk, maybe you'll feel like you're making an effort if you hang out with them a bit. And being silent doesn't mean they don't care if you're there or not--your presence makes a difference! Let us know how it goes, whatever you decide (and good luck!).
I was going to say just what luckybuzz said - being there makes a difference! This is going to sound goofy and isn't meant as patronizing or anything, but sometimes I think of the students in class who may not say anything, but are clearly listening and actually there with us - that's a very nice thing to have (and it makes people who like to do all the talking feel happier!).
I'll come with you! And then we can both get drunk afterwards on margaritas and lament how we didn't get anything done. Boy howdy does that sound like a fun night.
Well, I hope it's a tolerable time, anyway. My solution for surviving events where I would otherwise be a silent lump is white wine, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that to others.
after posting and whining and getting your sympathy, it was actually fine and I wasn't even the quietest person there. Sorry for whining under false pretences.
I was actually tempted to try the self-medicating with alcohol trick, even though I don't like the taste of anything alcoholic (especially not margaritas, sorry Shrinky), but I stuck to my usual chocolate instead.
There is no such thing as whining under false pretenses!
Post a Comment
<< Home