immobilised by apathy
Apparently it's worse than I thought... I typed the title for this post about 2 and a half hours ago and since then I've just wasted my time on crappy flash games, just as I've wasted the whole of this week so far in the lab. I hadn't even noticed I'd gone so long without posting here until someone asked where I was. I feel like I'm in a state of suspended animation. I just move between the lab and my bed, without thinking or doing anything other than eat and use my laptop.
I've been using the fiction, leftover from similar behaviour during my honours year, that as a student, I'm only really messing up my own work and it's not like I'm an actual employee, to keep the guilt somewhat at bay. Today, though, I realised that, unlike at home, where I was paying tuition to do research, I'm costing my advisor more than a technician... Plus, I remembered someone saying that the success of an assistant professor really depends on their first grad students doing good work. So, now I feel extra guilty.
I don't know what's wrong with me. I mostly haven't been feeling so miserable and depressed. I just hit an immediate wall of resistance every time I so much as think about doing something other than reading blogs or playing games. I'm not sure I can blame this on the depression.
When I was doing honours, I spent a very significant portion of my time in the lab on IRC. I managed to restrain myself from slacking off quite so much for the short period of time I was actually getting paid well and while I was doing rotations I was better about working while I was in the lab, but I was only in the lab for shorter periods of time between classes. In any case, it's not like this is a momentary aberration in my usual productivity. This is just a slightly more extreme version of my usual slackness.
I started reading a book on procrastination last night (that I'd already renewed from the library twice without even opening) and it offers several possible motivations. I was nodding in recognition at all of them - fear of failure, fear of success, fear of losing autonomy, fear of separation, fear of attachment... I still felt like I have no excuse, though, because I don't have a clear reason or origin for my fears, like all the example people did. I can't even figure out what I'm actually scared of that's keeping me from doing anything.
6 Comments:
I don't have anything helpful to say, I'm afraid.
But I just wanted to comment to say I LOVE the fact you had to keep renewing the book on procrastination because you kept putting off reading it!
Sounds like something I would do, too.
Hugs.
I don't really know what to say about the apathy either. But I've been wondering what you've been up to, so it's good to hear from you!
If you don't mind telling us, count me among those who'd be interested in reading the book . . . could you post the title, perhaps? Thanks,
is it still depression if I'm not also thinking about dying, though?
nessie, it's Procrastination: why you do it, what to do about it by Jane Burka and Lenora Yuen http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738209562/sr=8-1/qid=1146789698/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6276972-3794560?%5Fencoding=UTF8
I haven't got to the what to do about it part yet, so I don't know if it's any good, but it's got good reviews on amazon.
oh. I'm still trying to figure out how it's really just me being lazy because for some reason I can't accept it being perhaps not entirely my fault...
(also, how bad is it that I went and googled zuma and am now obsessively playing it?)
thanks for the cite and synopsis, lucy, i'm heading over to amazon.com to give it a look-over. i'm thinking that this will probably be a purchase, in no small part thanks to my first reading about it here. you're good people.
Post a Comment
<< Home