a shoulder to cry on
One day when I was living in the dorm, I could hear someone across the corridor from me sobbing their heart out. I wondered for a bit if I should see if they were okay, but luckily I heard someone else go in to comfort them. Aside from my usual social anxiety, part of what made me so reluctant to ask if they were okay was that I didn't want them to be embarrassed that I could hear them crying.
The last time I remember crying loud enough for someone to hear me, I was somewhere around 11. I don't remember why, but my mum had told me that if she was feeling miserable, she'd sometimes get in the shower and have a good cry. I tried it one day, thinking nobody would hear me. I don't remember what I was so upset about, probably my usual lonely misfitness, but when I came out of the bathroom, my mum asked worriedly what I'd been crying about. I couldn't have articulated it, even if I'd wanted to, but I felt bad for worrying her. Since then I've pretty much perfected the art of sobbing soundlessly.
I don't remember going to anyone much for comfort when I was upset, either. Apparently when I was 3 or 4, I was already refusing to tell mum what was wrong when I was upset. When we had to put our cat to sleep, I think I went to my dad (he was the only one home) upset that the film I'd used to try to take a last few photos of the cat with hadn't been wound on properly. He just said something about how it couldn't be fixed and what did I want him to do about it.
I was thinking about this last night when I was trying to figure out why I felt so miserable and what I wanted. Then, this morning, I ended up in tears in my meds appointment, for no reason other than I've been having trouble not crying since yesterday. I couldn't say what was wrong because I don't know, but the nurse asked what I do when I'm sad, if there's someone I can go to. I said no and she asked what anyone in my family did when they were sad. I didn't know. I always just hid in my room and tried to pretend I was fine. She asked if my mum were there, would she say "don't you remember, lucy? We always did x". I'm sure my mum would be horrified to learn I couldn't think of a sane, healthy family reaction to sadness and would say something similar, but I have no idea what she would think we did. Maybe she'd assume I would have come to her and the fact that I never did just means I was never sad?
I know she would turn to me, or anyone else who was around. My older brother would do the same. My little brother had his girlfriend for a long time. I hope he has someone now. I have no idea what my dad did. I keep being surprised when my mum tells me my older brother has been over there crying to her about something, because it doesn't seem safe to me.
I think that is what I want though. I wish I could cry on someone's shoulder without feeling dangerously exposed and needy and clingy and annoying. You're all very wonderful and I really appreciate your support so much, but virtual hugs aren't quite the same.
7 Comments:
My guess is that this is more about being in a relationship that is safe, but if simple friendship will do, then you know where/how to reach me. If you ever need a real shoulder, mine is available. Call, email, or just show up on our damn doorstep. We're all about a good cry around these parts.
Some families do not deal with negative emotions well. I love my family tremendously, but we never ever talk about "bad" things. In a way it has emotionally handicapped me because most of the time I literally cannot explain what's making me upset. I never learned how to talk about those things. Sounds like you didn't either. I still keep bad news a secret from my mother.
When I first moved out here, 3000 miles from home, I cried for months and months because...I had no one to cry on. Ironic.
I wish I could help you out more. I guess I just want you to know that you aren't the only one who feels like this, who has these problems.
I think Phantom said it really well. Everyone needs a safe relationship for crying in. I've felt the way you do at times in my life, and it's very hard.
hey, way to articulate a "that is what I want" statement too, even if it's not *all* that you want. a while ago I seem to remember that being a difficulty.
that's true, kermit. I guess the want got strong enough to overpower the prohibition on recognising it. Of course, I still can't do anything about it...
For example, Phantom, simple friendship sounds pretty wonderful. I can't think about how very badly I want to take you up on that without crying though, because I don't think I can be anything between needy, clingy and annoying and cold and silent and annoying in an attempt to avoid the first option.
honeybee and Claire, I'm sorry you've felt like this too.
Lucy, I've felt like this at times too. And I'm really not good at asking for help, or being needy & crying on people either. But if you ever do want a real shoulder to cry on, or even to be a little blue around, you should email me. I know how hard that is...and how hard it would be for me...but I mean that genuinely.
I feel like this too right now. I wish so much I had a shoulder to cry on. I am literally crying right now.
For what it is worth, you can cry on my shoulder anytime.
Post a Comment
<< Home