(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

want

Despite enjoying my afternoon at the beach yesterday, I did end up feeling sad last night, too. The only thing that wasn't so nice about the beach was the frequent twinges of envy/sorrow/longing whenever I saw a happy couple wander past hand-in-hand. Sure, I suppress any indication that I might want to be part of a couple, and I can usually just be happy for others who seem happy, but sometimes the want is just painful.
For need can blossom into all the compensations it requires. To crave and to have are as like as a thing and its shadow. For when does a berry break upon the tongue as sweetly as when one longs to taste it, and when is the taste refracted into so many hues and savors of ripeness and earth, and when do our senses know any thing so utterly as when we lack it? And here again is a foreshadowing – the world will be made whole. For to wish for a hand on ones’ hair is all but to feel it. So whatever we may lose, very craving gives it back to us again. Though we dream and hardly know it, longing, like an angel, fosters us, smooths our hair, and brings us wild strawberries.
- Marilynne Robinson (Housekeeping)
The angel of longing can't quite provide the real thing, unfortunately, but it seems the most I can hope for. Even if I could resolve the issues I've mentioned previously, I can't see how I could possibly catch up on what I've missed.
I still feel uncomfortable thinking of myself as an adult. I'm always surprised to hear people my age referred to as women, even though I know it's not appropriate to call 26-year-olds girls. I think a big part of that is that I still feel like my same clueless 12-year-old self, not ready to move on from playing with Sylvanian Families to talk of boys and school dances. I still think kissing seems kind of icky, and my one experience did nothing to change that opinion. I'm assuming that at some point, attraction overcomes that childish repulsion, but I haven't got there yet.
Possibly I'm being too pessimistic, but I'm so far off even having any kind of crush on anyone and even assuming I got there somehow, I don't see how it could be possible to jump from being emotionally 12 to properly mature, without passing through some hideously awkward learning phase and what adult is going to want to deal with a 26-plus-many-year old who still thinks holding hands is a big frickin' deal?
So, I'm stuck where I was at 17, trying to find a way to cope with the idea of being alone forever without getting sucked into the pit of despair. Usually, denial works quite well, but that false hope just lets the longing grow to an unsustainable size, before collapsing and dragging me back towards despair.
I hate writing about this. I'm committing some mortal sin by merely acknowledging that I think about relationships, thereby discrediting the excuse that I'm just oblivious and uninterested, let alone fully admitting the depths of my social ineptitude.
I have the same longing for a real friend, too, though, and confiding in this blog is the closest I've ever got. Is friendship just as impossible a wish, do you think? Or could that be a slightly more sustainable longing?

13 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I think both are "sustainable longings". And remember that I have no reason to say that just to make you feel better. :)

And I love that Marilynne Robinson quote.

And I also want to say that in my experience, anyway, every new thing with every new person is awkward and uncertain and makes us emotionally 12 again, and it doesn't matter, ever, how often you do it--if it's new, it's new. And that's a good thing, I think. So I'm just saying...that's certainly no reason to despair. :)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

No easy answers, I'm afraid. But I just wanted to say that I love that quotation. Thanks for sharing it.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Hmmm. I have to agree with styleygeek, that there are no easy answers to the questions you pose.

I think it is good you got out on the beach and did some reflection. I think through reflection, you may find your answers.

I also love the quotation, thanks for sharing.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Honestly? The hideous learning phase is just something one has to suck up if one wants to get past it. It is quite miserable, yes. But worth getting past. Because once it is done, it's done, and you can move on with your life.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Luckybuzz, because you're nice and trying to be comforting?

Katie, I think the reflection just makes me sad. I can't see anything constructive coming out of it.

Phantom, that might feel more encouraging if even getting to the hideous learning phase seemed remotely possible...

The other reason I hate writing about this is I don't like sounding so grumpy and negative. I'm sorry. I try to be more optimistic sometimes, but it just feels like I'm trying to delude myself, because the sheer number of impossible steps involved in getting from here to there is so overwhelming. And even assuming I managed to get myself to the point where I could start the learning process, it still requires somebody else to be willing to go through the same painful process with me.
I should just figure out how to cope without any of that.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

Heck, establishing real friendships in academia is awfully hard. People pass through your life so rapidly as they graduate, get jobs, drop out of programs, and so forth. I think the environment, including the long, silent hours in the lab, is not conducive to forming any of the kinds of bonds you are talking about.

You don't sound grumpy or negative. You sound contemplative and discouraged, but I think that's a perfectly fine tone for a blog post. It can't all be hearts, puppies, and toes in the sand, right?

I would like to suggest that being focused on the "learning" part of things is maybe misguided though, in the sense of causing you more angst than is necessary (because some angst is necessary? ;) ). That seems to imply that there is a "right" way to act in friendships and relationships. That's just not the case. There are a million different models of interactions that work for different people, and I think everyone just figures out how to act, within the context of a specific interaction. I don't think it's the case that everyone else possesses this secret knowledge that you are lacking. Any way you slice it though, it is still incredibly hard to form deep connections of any kind with people. I do hope you find some answers.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

sheepish, I can't blame the lack of real friendships on academia, when I haven't had one since I was maybe 9. Although it does make any future prospects look grim.
Maybe there isn't a specific way to make friends that I need to learn, but I still think there's something I'm lacking, since I have never figured out how to act.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

I wasn't trying to comment so much on what you may or may not lack. Rather, I was just pointing out that being in academia can make it more difficult in some ways.

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sheepish, relax dude, and back off. seriously. why are you so defensive? why must you be such a control freak? your response is so far off in tone from Lucy's that I'm wondering if you even heard her at all. incredible.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

whoa, anonymous... I think you're the one with the far off tone. I don't understand what you're reacting to in the conversation between Lucy and Sheepish here. From the history I've seen between the two of them, these comments appeared to be a dialogue between friends.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

Thanks for setting me straight, "anonymous".

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, sheepish, and please don't try to reciprocate, should the desire to do so appear on your side. and b*, aristole is your friend, as are his many writings on friendship.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

anonymous, I don't see any problem with what Sheepish said. Please don't insult my friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home