AAAARGH!
(copied from Phantom's Wednesday Whining)
I came home early because my new hard drive arrived today and I wanted to set it up and just bask in the wonderfulness of having internet access in my room again.
I pulled out the old hard drive and started unscrewing it from its brackety thing, but I can only get 3 of the 4 screws undone. The fourth screw is completely stuck because the bit that's supposed to be the shape of a cross for the screwdriver to fit into is completely mangled.
I also realised that when I went back to get my computer from the tech support people at uni, they didn't give me back one of the screws that holds the hard drive brackety thing to the case. Worse, they didn't give me back my power cord. Oh well, I thought, I guess I have to walk over there and collect it. Of course, when I got here, they stared at me blankly for a while, before letting me back to look for it. It wasn't plugged in where I left it, nobody had seen it and they've completely rearranged the whole office since I was there. Plus, it's staffed by undergrads, so their response was basically "oops, I guess that sucks for you".
So now I have a dead hard drive stuck in my laptop and no power (and a battery that might last half an hour if I'm lucky).
Oh, and a presentation to do on Friday that I need to analyse 3 months worth of data for, that I thought I could do at home with my newly-fixed computer.
5 Comments:
!!!
I hope it gets up and going soon. Do you have to order another power cord?
Oh, Lucy, what a mess! So sorry to hear this. Computers are the devil's work. ;)
the one thing the unsympathetic undergrad said he'd do, after I asked, was email the rest of the staff to see if they've seen it, so I'm still clinging to the hope that it will turn up. Otherwise, that's another $50, at least.
I feel your laptopless pain. I so do.
I hope Lappie II is better soon, sheepish!
Wolfangel, I'm not too hopeful for that. The guy I first talked to seemed okay, but when I've said who it was they all stare at me blankly and claim there's nobody with that name working there...
Post a Comment
<< Home