angry? row back, down stream initially, to puzzles
Guess what I've been doing this week instead of reading quite so much.
Wasn't my title completely obvious? Crosswords, of course! (angry = cross, row back = wor, Down Stream initially = ds, puzzles = crosswords)
I went to a free preview screening of Wordplay last week and really liked it (so did Wolfangel), so when I found the little book of cryptic crosswords that Santa got me a few years ago, I was inspired to tackle them again. I'd only completed 6 of the 54 puzzles over the last 3 years, because I'd get completely frustrated with the seemingly nonsensical clues and give up. I'm up to number 14 now, though, and I'm down to an hour and 2 clues wrong/looked up! I feel so accomplished! I'm kind of thinking the champion crossword solvers from the movie aren't all that impressive any more, though. Sure they're fast, but the clues are completely straightforward. Try solving this in 10 minutes.
My mum (aka santa) got me the book after our first effort at deciphering a cryptic crossword. We were staying at the beach for a few days, but we had to spend the middle of each day holed up in our air-conditioned apartment to avoid the sweltering heat so we ended up doing every puzzle in every magazine or newspaper we had. The cryptic crossword was left until last, because neither of us had ever done one. I'd never been able to figure out how the clues could possibly mean anything. My grandmother used to do them every day, but sadly, I never asked her to explain; I'd just shake my head in awe that she could. We finally decided to tackle it after realising that if we looked up the answers, maybe we'd be able to figure out how the clues worked. It took us a long time, but after looking up half of them, we could work out a couple of clues on our own, and we eventually managed to fill it all in.
My book has explanations for how clues work (like ways to tell something is an anagram or a word backwards and common abbreviations) and a couple of worked examples. I still had to look up about a third of the answers on the first 6 puzzles I did, though. I think after doing 7 of them in a few days, my brain has finally learnt puzzle logic, because the last couple have seemed easy. These puzzles are all set by one person, though, so I'm not sure how well my skills would transfer. I'm still guessing some words based on what would fit, too, since I can't figure out the clue, even after I know the answer. (e.g. how does "rink performer kills Bush, right?" = "iceskater". Sure, the first part could be an easy crossword clue and the "right" means it ends in "r", but is "kills bush" just a red herring? Oh, wait, I just figured it out. I guess "ices" means kills and Bush = Kate. It's nice to be able to double check the answers, or have an alternative clue, at least)
11 Comments:
cooking? gambling? petting puppies? having seances? getting tattoos? having a love-in orgyfest? crossdressing? plotting to foment revolution and take over the world?
or, better yet: writing the next evil lucy installment? remember - the kitten is waiting!
Poo. Shrinky guessed all the ones I was going too.
oh, come on - I completely spelled it out in the title!
I've been kind of reluctant to write the next evil installment when I can't hide in my room to do it, but I think my new hard drive should have arrived today!
You mean "evil crosswords," where all the clues are puzzles like the one in the title. Those completely stump me. Give me good old Will Shortz puzzles any day.
I'm a miserable failure at crosswords. I read one day that doing them keeps your synapses healthy and quick as you age. Then decided I was going to be a slow old woman if that was the only way to stay smart. :) I'm too easily frustrated (or just don't know enough words, so it makes me look better to say I'm easily frustrated).
Good luck with the computer - I hope you get that all fixed soon!
Oh, see, I love crosswords--"regular" crosswords, anyway. The cryptic ones are completely beyond me, and I have no idea what the hell is going on in them...but I do love the normal, not-so-hard ones. :)
I'm much more of an NY Times type myself. Give me obscure Olde English words over riddles any day.
I used to have absolutely no idea how the clues could possibly make sense to anyone, but that's what makes it so satisfying to decipher any of them. You should try them!
I guess they've kind of ruined the satisfaction I used to get from solving normal crosswords, though...
Post-doc, I read that it's actually better for your brain if you can't do them easily - that way it has to keep working. It's probably not so fun that way, though.
I'm terrible at any sort of crossword puzzle -- I mean, I used to do the ones in TV Guide and feel accomplished about it, for pity's sake. But these would make me cry.
That last clue is kind of creepy, given the Kate Bush album all about a woman who dies under ice.
the creepiness might have helped with figuring out the clue, though :)
I learnt all my tv trivia from doing the TV guide crossword puzzle, too.
You're right. I'm terrible at cryptic crosswords (though regular crosswords do have some tricky clues).
Post a Comment
<< Home