(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Saturday, June 10, 2006

avoidance

So, I got one sentence into my story before I realised I needed a pseudonym for the main character and got stuck... I'm hopeless at thinking of names. Anyone have any ideas? Luckybuzz? You're good with pseudonyms.
I ended up shoe shopping, instead. I need closed-toe shoes for the lab and all I have are my docs that I've been wearing all winter and a flimsy little pair of sneakery things that now feel like the soles are made of cardboard, or maybe even paper. I want something I can wear with skirts or pants of any length. I care more about comfort than appearance, especially since they're mainly just for wearing in lab. So far, these are my favourites:



(or these, which are similar and cheaper, but not quite as nice

)




I like these ones, but I'm not sure I could get away with the little holes on the sides (the open-ish heel is okay for some reason):






What do you think? If you can think of any other styles that might fit my criteria, I'd be grateful, too.

I really will get back to the story. I probably shouldn't have started talking about it until I had the whole thing ready to go, I guess. Although, that's actually why I haven't posted about it before. I thought having people expecting it would make it easier to write, but it hasn't worked so far.

12 Comments:

At 1:47 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

Might I suggest "Sven"?

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I like the top ones.

And you could just use an initial for the main character (although -- since it's your story, surely the main character is you!)

Pseudonyms don't have to be clever or unusual -- in fact, it sometimes distracts from the story and the readers' ability to form their own image of the character.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Rudbeckia Hirta said...

Timberland and Sketchers both have a variety of cute sneaker-ish shoes; the criss-cross ones you posted reminded me of them.

Does he remind you of a character in a book whose name you could borrow?

I was going to lend you the name of a guy who I treated poorly, but now I find that I've forgotten it! (How about that for adding insult to injury!)

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Bubba?

What are those shoes that all the doctors and nurses wear? They are like clogs with a heel - and are really versatile? What are they called? Anyway, that's another kind of shoe that seems comfy,

Some of those look like suede which is hard to keep clean - just in case you tend to drop/spill stuff.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

I like the criss-crossy ones (third down) and the top ones.

As for pseudonym, "mec" means "guy" in French. Although it might add an unintentionally comic tone to your story...

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

thanks for your votes. Also, does anyone have experience with buying shoes from zappos? Can I really send them back if they don't fit? Are there limits on the number of times you can do that?

Shrinky, are they dansko clogs? They would be nice, but I think too expensive for me right now. I've never actually spilled anything on my feet, that I can remember (in less rule-conscious labs I've just worn sandals), so I'm not too worried about keeping them clean.

Rudbeckia, I actually started out looking for skechers, but I couldn't find any that I really liked the colours of. I'll have a look at timberlands, thanks.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

quit stalling and share your story! Please! I mean, if you want... I'll wait. :) I'm just interested.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

I'm typing! I'm typing! I think I'm calling him S, for Sven, since using the actual name will just make me giggle. Thanks sheepish :)

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

And the great thing about Sven is that it can either be this strapping, dashing dude, or else it can be short for svengali!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

Thanks for the props about my pseudonyms. :)

And you and I have the same taste in shoes. I love every one of the pairs you have up here.

And I've only ordered from zappos once--and i didn't return--but they have SUPER fast shipping (they upgraded me to overnight for no reason) and I've heard you can return for free as much as you want.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Sven is my father-in-law's name. And he is so not strapping and hunky, but rather kind of timid and balding. So it's a name that I REALLY can't take seriously.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

that's fine, styley, 'cause it's meant to be ironic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home