RIP laptop 2003-2006
My laptop died last night :( I took it to the IT clinic this morning and they tried to revive it, but the hard drive was unrecognisable. They were also pretty alarmed at the horrendous whirring and grinding noises my fan makes. I always forget how bad it sounds until somebody else is listening and then I'm terribly embarrassed. They're still trying to recover some of the data but it's not looking too good. Luckily, I've been getting increasingly paranoid about it dying since my housemate's very similar laptop died about a month ago so I finally got around to backing up most of my stuff about a week ago. I forgot to back up all my firefox bookmarks and settings, though. And I'd written a little more LtEHB and made a special surprise for you that is now gone. I guess it's lucky I haven't been doing any lab work, so I didn't lose anything too irreplaceable... Three years doesn't seem like a very long life for a laptop, or is it?
I think this means I won't be able to host, or even be at the IM party this week... Sorry!
14 Comments:
Awwww, poor laptop. :(
Oh, sorry to hear about the laptop! Good thing you did a recent backup, so at least you didn't lose *everything* (though the Firefox bookmark loss is awful). For the record, this is my third laptop in the four years I've been here, so you're doing better than I am on laptop-longevity.
My laptop is two year olds next week, and is getting crochety already. Feh.
Sorry about your Firefox bookmarks and other losses!
well, my laptop was definitely crotchety (that seems like an understatement for the horrible fan noise it made) by the time it was a year and a half or so old, so it's pretty good that it lasted this long, I guess. I've just been jealous of the people I know with 5-6 year old laptops that still work fine.
When I first joined my lab, my advisor asked if I had a computer or if I needed him to buy me one, so he might still be willing to do that. The problem is, I'm not sure I could accept without feeling incredibly guilty and there's definitely no way I could ask (other than by complaining loudly about how my laptop died... which just makes me feel guiltier for being annoyingly indirect and hinting) so I guess I should go laptop shopping. I could just get a new hard drive and fan, but it's probably not worth it.
Thanks for your sympathy!
Three years? Why do they make computers that only last three years?
I hate it when a computer dies. You have my full sympathy.
So sorry Lucy! that truly does suck. must back up ownn hard-drive now, as this lap-top is getting old too.
I'm so sorry to hear this! How stressful. I hate computer trouble more than anything. I'm happy to hear that you had a lot of important files backed up.
To paraphrase Baby Blue, poor poor poor Lucy. That sucks.
That's sad, Lucy. I'm it's sad that you won't be at the IM party.
I think you should definitely complain loudly in front of your advisor about the dead laptop. Or mention that it died and ask if he has any recommendations for when you buy a new one (mention that it needs to be low budget!). Then he might get the hint.
Oh man, I typed out a good comment (brilliant, if I may say so), putin my word veri, waited - thought it had taken annd closed the window...but I entered the word veri wrong. arrrrggghhhh!
Anyway, I am so sorry about this. Computer woes completely suck. Can you afford a new one? My school offers computer loans through the financial aid department.
Just to put in a little plug for a mac: if you get applecare when you get your mac - all repairs are covered. If you don't purchase it (as I stupidly didn't), there is a set fee for all repairs (like $400), and they will repair *everything* that is wrong with it - even cosmetic stuff. Plus, they have a loan program and reduced prices for students.
shrinky, half my lab spent yesterday afternoon trying their best to convert me to a mac :) I used macs for a long time in my lab at home, though and they constantly irritated me...
None of the arguments I've heard so far have been too convincing (I could've got an extended warranty for my computer that would've covered this for $229, but I can get a new harddrive for less than that anyway).
I keep wanting to like apple, but I don't want to get a mac and then find that it's too annoying to be happy with.
I'm willing to listen to new arguments, though (ones my labmates tried yesterday include protection from viruses, desktop search, how pretty they look and the ability to recognise hebrew characters)
One nice thing about macs now is that they can do windoze. Thus, you can load windoze on there, and can use any windoze only software.
if you've previously used macs and found them annonying - they might not be the computer for you. I find pcs annoying :)
One nice thing about macs now is that they can do windoze. Thus, you can load windoze on there, and can use any windoze only software.
if you've previously used macs and found them annonying - they might not be the computer for you. I find pcs annoying :)
I do honestly find the support one of the most appealing things. If there is an apple store in your city - you can bring in a mac and they will help you with *anything*. They also have lots of classes (free).
oops - sorry!
Post a Comment
<< Home