(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Monday, July 31, 2006

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves

I need this book. (note to publishers: I do book reviews!*)



Updated to add: I don't just need the book because of its title. Read this interview with the author, Karen Russell. I wanted to quote a bit of the interview to make you want to read it, but I couldn't isolate a single sentence so here's my favourite answer:
Stories are great for the commitment-shy. Whenever I begin a new story, I have to fight down a rabid, bride-to-be hopefulness—is this story “the One?” Will our casual fling blossom into a 600-page novel? Then, the initial thrill wears off, and it’s a struggle to keep the conversation moving forward. Somewhere around the late-middle of most stories, I get a panicky, “check, please!” feeling. And then it’s over, and I get to exit the story with a misty gratitude for our time together, and a deep relief that we never have to see each other again.

Of course, I haven’t gone on enough first dates or written nearly enough stories to legitimately make this analogy. I'm basing this on a small group of stories and one stupendously awkward night at an Ethiopian restaurant.



*note to non-publishers: I will be catching up soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home