(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Friday, July 21, 2006

therapy sucks, or more likely, I do

I did end up telling the therapist by email that maybe it would be easier for me to talk over IM, rather than in person and she said she'd look into it. Today she said that it wouldn't be possible, because of something to do with their computer system.
I was already feeling just about ready to give up on the whole therapy process before I went today. I'm just wasting both our time, going to appointments just to sit in silence. Last week, I said I was feeling a bit better in general and I was leaving lab earlier and eating proper meals more (I'm making it sound like I actually talked, but really all I said was "better" when she asked if things were the same or different, and then nodded when she asked about the other things). She also asked if I was doing anything with friends and when I nodded, she got so excited. I felt bad, because it's not that anything's different. I may have been hiding in my room for the vast majority of the time, but I'd still do things with housemates/other people occasionally. She just happened to ask about it at the right time. That's the problem, though. Since I don't talk, she has no way of telling what's really going on, unless she, by chance, asks the right yes/no question.
She also asked if I thought the therapy made it easier to do things with other people, if I felt better being supported, or reminded to connect with people. I felt bad, but I had to say no. I know I should be more engaged, but it really seems to have no relation to the rest of my life. Actually, I just found it patronising when she suggested the week before that I make it a goal to plan some activity with friends, and it was unrelated that I did end up doing something.
This week, she asked about what I did and who I went with and then I got confused. She asked if I felt like I'd made some closer connection with the housemates I went with. Should I have made closer connections just from going to the beach with people? Particularly since I've lived with these people for 2 years already. Are closer connections meant to happen just from spending time with people? I don't get it.

She still keeps asking every time if there's something I want to talk about, or what I would like to do in the session. Does she really think one day I'll come in and just start talking in complete sentences?
I feel mean posting about her, because it must be so incredibly frustrating for her to have to deal with me not talking (and lately I keep getting there late) and she has been trying to think of different things to try. It's just that I'm kind of frustrated too, because it seems like she doesn't quite get the key fact that I can't frickin' talk. I know it's impossible for her to understand when I can't explain anything (although I've partially tried by email), but surely a year of someone sitting silently in your office would suggest that just asking questions isn't going to work.

Well, I guess she realised that today, too, because she started talking about how there's no point continuing to try something that obviously isn't working, but she didn't have any new ideas of anything different to try, so it sounded like I should just stop coming.
That's basically what I've been thinking, but if I stopped seeing her, I'd never be able to start again, and I thought there must be something that could help. They're the experts - I assumed they'd figure something out, eventually. So, really, it wouldn't make much difference to me to stop going, but if the reason is there's nothing they can do, then that's pretty depressing.

But then, I'm back to thinking it's my fault she's giving up, too. Towards the end of last year, she gave me some tables to fill in of when I felt anxious and what I was thinking at the time. I put off filling them in until the last minute and then trying to fill them in made me so incredibly anxious that I couldn't do it. I tried to answer the questions about why the forms made me so anxious, at least, but when she asked about them, I said I couldn't do them properly and didn't show her what I'd attempted and she never asked again. But it still seemed like something that might be useful, unlike the "visualise a happy place" and relaxation exercises she was trying more recently.
Plus, I avoid thinking about therapy outside the appointments (and when I blog about it) and I've been showing up late, because I can't convince myself that I really have to leave now. I don't think it's quite passive aggression, but I've definitely been resistant for a while.
So, I feel like I should've said something (or still should say something) to give her a better idea of what's going on. But then, if it were that easy, wouldn't I have done that by now? Or am I just sabotaging the whole process?

She did push once again for the anxiety program that does phone screenings. Apparently, they can do the screening in person, but I'd still have to arrange that myself. Does the fact that I wish she'd just call and make an appointment for me mean I'm not ready to do a group therapy kind of thing? Because even if I made it through the screening, it would involve talking in front of other people. Unless, is it possible they wouldn't make me talk? I have no idea if I could do that or not. I can imagine going and being able to talk and it being like a real life version of the online support group I was in, when it actually was a support group, but then that's the fantasy version. Far more likely is that I'd just sit there like a rabbit frozen in the headlights, trying to be invisible.

I was feeling quite okay until this morning. Then after my appointment I had to stop twice for comfort food on the way into the lab and I've been banging things around and being generally sullen and unhelpful all day. I suck.

(Yeah, I know this has no organisation or coherence. Sorry about that)

9 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you give the therapist your blog URL and let her read it?

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Right now I can't think of any nice things to say about your therapist. Is that because I'm evil, or because she's aggressively clueless? You decide.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lucy - I don't even know what to say. I have a lot of empathy here for your therapist - and you as well. I just know how hard it is to work with clients who don't talk. It kind of sounds like she is feeling powerless and helpless - which ironically is likely exactly how you feel.

It sounds to me like she feels like she has tried everything and doesn't know what works or doesn't with you. And indeed she is an expert - but you are the expert on you. She can really only do so much - and she only knows as much as you tell her. She may know some things about working with quiet people - but she doesn't know what of those things she has learned from her other work might, or might not, work for you.

I'm going to post this and then continue in case my laptop dies.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, working with people who don't talk is one of the hardest things - especially if I have the sense that the person doesn't feel like it is helping or doesn't seem to be working with me. As a therapist, I am more than willing to work as hard as I possibly can - but I always feel like I need *something* back from my clients - I need to feel like we are partners in it - that we are working together.

It's not that I think you aren't doing this - but my hunch is your therapist may not feel it. I imagine she might just be feeling like nothing she does helps or has any effect - and that neither her nor the therapy is at all important to you. My sense is that that's not true - but how to get past that is what is hard.

Honestly, I wouldn't IM with a client either. That basically turned into e-therapy and the liability is just too high. Just to put forth another perspective on that.

I really empathize with you - and I get that you see that this is a complicated situation. That is, I know you can feel her trying - but it may well be that the sense of her trying so hard is part of what pushes you away. No one wants to be *that* hard to figure out.

I think if I were in your therapist's shoes right now, I would be feeling like I needed something from you. I would need something in terms of a desire to keep working, some help in figuring out how to work, something to show that we were partners.

I don't know if this was helpful or if it was the antithesis. Clearly I am overidentifying with your therapist here - having been in her position and keenly understanding what it is like in her shoes.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking what Just Josh said - would it be possible to give her this URL? You write very articulately about the things that bother you, so maybe it would be a less painful way to give her information that would allow her to be more helpful?

I found this interesting: Are closer connections meant to happen just from spending time with people? Because actually, yeah, I would say that is how closer connections happen. Not that they automatically happen from spending time with people, of course - it's possible to spend a lot of time with people and never feel connected to them. But it's one of the ways that connections grow, at least in my experience.

Do you think that a different therapist would be more helpful? That is, is any of this about this particular woman, or is it all about the process? (It sounds like it's the process, but I was just curious.)

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Josh, because then this place would no longer be safe to write in without worrying about having to face her.

Phantom, I think you're just too sympathetic towards me.

Shrinky, I think what pushes me away most is that it feels like she keeps trying to put me in a box she knows how to deal with, but her guesses are still so far away from the reality, and it seems to me like it should be obvious that the boxes are not a match based on what I have told her. And it doesn't seem like there are even a lot of different boxes. I know I haven't given her much at all to go on, but it has been very hard to share what I have told her, and I would feel a lot more encouraged if it seemed like she understood something of it. I know that's probably still expecting her to be too much of a mind-reader.
It is true that nothing she does has had any effect, and it does seem less important to me, because it doesn't feel very likely that she'll come up with anything will help, so maybe I really should just give up and stop wasting her time.
I'm sounding less sympathetic towards her here, but I still do feel bad. I wish I could respond to what she's tried, but I can't.

Wolfa, I feel bad shooting down all your suggestions, too, even though you said you're not invested in them... I do still email her between sessions. I'm trying to figure out what to say.
Maybe another therapist would be better, but I don't know how likely that is. And I don't think I could ask to see anyone else.
Art therapy wouldn't be any better either. I can't do anything that might indicate anything about how I feel with anyone else in the room. I can't even move at all, except to dig my fingernails into my hands (and I worry about what she reads into that, too).

New Kid, but connections must grow from doing something/s specific during the time spent together, surely? Something I'm not doing, because I never seem to build any closer connection with anyone, no matter how much time I spend with them. Or maybe I'm doing something that gets in the way?

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Margi said...

Not sure I have anything useful to say. But I keep remembering your experience with that hellish retreat you went on at your brother's suggestion, and how you had to leave just as you were starting to feel like opening up. And that's making me think that being in a group therapy thing, with people who might have similar issues, would be a much better situation for you than one-on-one. Why not just ask your therapist (by email) if she can get you signed up for it?

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucy - I totally get that. So, is therapy over now? Or is discussion of it still on the table? I guess to me it kind of sounds like this may just not be the therapist for you. If you feel ike she isn't even getting the things you tell her - then it just may simply not be a good match. I think from your earlier posts - and some of our off blog discussions - it had sounded like you were not sure how much of this is her and how much is you. What you've said in comments makes it sound like you are just not getting enough understanding from her to help you take risks with her. Completely understandable. So, it seems like your options are to either keep trying with her - which I think would mean taking even more risks with her and seeing how she responds (for example, sending her this blog entry - maybe framed as "this is an email I sent to a friend of mine annd I thought I'd send it to you to help you see what I'm thinking about in relation to our session).

Another option would be to suggest that you get consultation. You could say you talked to a shrink friend of yours who suggested this as an option. It seems as though the two of you have stalled - you have reached an impasse and that it might help to have you both consult with someone else to see what they think about how to work together - or whether to do so.

If it seems like you can't - or don't want to try any more with her. If it feels like you can't take any more risks with her - then it might be better to try a different therapist. When I was at my school's counseling center - I didn't work well with the person assigned to me - and asked for a new therapist. It was super duper hard for me to do this (and I did it via emaila) but I ended up getting connected to a therapist who was a much much better match. I worried endlessly about running into the other therapist but that went away after a while.

I don't know too if you have other options as far as other places to get therapy? (like that author who is a shrink near you). If so, that might be worth looking into.

Or maybe a break from therapy might help. I don't know though. It just seems like something has to change as you aren't feeling hear or supported (it sounds like, at least) and aren't getting what you need. And, I think you need to feel safe and supported enough to tkae risks with opening up - and for some reason, that just isn't occurring.

feel free to tell me to shut up or take it to email at any time. Sadly discusssion of this stuff excites me to no end.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger jeremy said...

The idea of giving your therapist your blog URL is actually sort of intriguing. Here, you are getting paid for 50 minutes, use this 50 minutes for this, and then we'll talk.

Although it would seem like a different therapist would be better if that's possible. I don't know what your health converage allows.

In any case, being able to work with people who have problems that make it difficult for them to talk is this person's job; it's supposed to be part of the skill set that justifies her salary. By definition, you cannot be the one who "sucks" if the interaction is going badly. It's upsetting to me that she would leave you feeling so bleak and feeling self-blame for her professional inadequacies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home