books #61-67
These books are all from a month ago (at least), hence the lack of detail. I have another 9 books already for the next post...
61. Brick Lane by Monica Ali. I enjoyed this book, but it seemed fairly typical of its genre (immigrant community, traditional vs modern culture etc).
62. The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld. I really liked the beginning of this. As in Prep, I could identify with the awkward, reclusive main character. Once she suddenly became more confident, though, I was disappointed.
63. This Book Will Save Your Life by A.M. Homes. This was okay. I think it was trying to be deeper, but it was just a standard mid-life-crisis-leading-to-enlightenment story.
64. Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson. See review here. I actually googled for other blog posts about the book, because I assumed other people would've gotten review copies and I wanted to see what other people wrote. It seemed like every other post was uniformly positive, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't have included any criticism...
65. Art and Lies by Jeanette Winterson. I liked this book a lot, especially when the three stories started coming together. I think I should reread it, since I'm pretty sure I missed some of the links between the stories.
66. The Position by Meg Wolitzer. This was another book where I identified with an awkward character and was disappointed at her transformation. I was also disappointed that the book focussed a lot on the parents who'd written a sex manual and their divorce, rather than on the effects of all that on the children.
67. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This book was so sad. I know, hardly surprising, given that it's set in Nazi Germany... It was really wonderful, but I cried so much.
Labels: books
1 Comments:
I've not liked much of AM Homes' recent stuff- but I do very highly recommend _In a country of mothers_. Another book of hers that is brilliant, but that i am hesitant to recommend solely because of the subject matter is _The end of Alice_. Disturbing as hell, but very well done.
Post a Comment
<< Home