(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Saturday, August 05, 2006

categories!

I finally got around to figuring out how to set up categories. I'm not sure I'll bother categorising all my previous posts, but the book ones are all accessible now, at least.
I used this method, involving tagging with del.icio.us. There's a long list of other methods here (thanks, Styley!), but this one was pretty easy.
I'm trying to get this greasemonkey script to work with it, too, so sorry if this keeps showing up in your feed-reader.

Update: I think I'm finally done fiddling with it. Step 6 of the d2b installation seemed to mess up my sidebar, so just ignore the placeholder post showing up in august 2001.
I'm not sure the greasemonkey script is the right tool, since I'm not using it to show the tags in each post, as it was designed to do. It does put a handy link to del.icio.us in blogger, though, so I don't have to view each post to tag it there.
I'm not going to go back and tag old posts, since it seems like I'd have to republish each one to get it to show up in my category cloud/list.

Update again: Actually, apparently I can just tag old posts and they'll show up in the cloud, they just won't have the list of categories in the post. So now I'm not sure if I should categorise old posts because I'm not sure I want to attract attention to them, rather than leaving them buried in the archives...

2 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Damn. Mr. Blue and I have only been talking about such a thing, and here you are actually accomplishing it. We are impressed. Seriously.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

It's not actually that impressive, thanks to the handy step-by-step instructions. If I hadn't changed 15 things at once before noticing that my sidebar was gone, it would have only taken a very short time to set up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home