driving as a metaphor for life?
If I were post-doc, I'd write a beautiful narrative analogy about this, but instead you just get a list of ways in which my driving style might be analogous to my life:
- I hate going fast
- I hate changing lanes
- I can't make decisions fast enough to avoid going the wrong way
- Even if I can see that I'm about to go the wrong way, I find it a lot easier to just make the mistake and try to turn around later
- Everyone else seems to know what the "real" rules are, and I get left behind following the posted speed limits or feeling like I'm holding everyone behind me up (seriously, am I the only person who drives at the speed limit? Apart from the two cars who actually managed to be slow enough for long enough that even I was willing to change lanes to get past them)
It was a fun weekend in general, but I went with a housemate and another friend and his girlfriend and I did get kind of sad and jealous seeing the couple interact (they weren't being annoyingly couply or anything) because I want hugs too and I wish that were possible for me now.
8 Comments:
seriously, am I the only person who drives at the speed limit?
Sorry, Lucy, but yes. You are. :)
You talk to yourself and other cars? Oh, that's cute. That'd be fun to hear. I sometimes talk to other cars, but generally I'm telling them what they can do to themselves.
Glad it was funnish.
I wish you had someone to hug and be couply (even to the point of being annoying!) with right now too. It's sometimes painful to see someone have what I want, so I know the feeling.
I find driving stressful, to be honest. But I drive as fast as is reasonably possible and spend a lot of time talking about how many people are in my way.
I actually didn't realize how often I spoke out loud until I was waiting to cross the street in undergrad. There was a beautiful man in a Jeep right next to me and I was waiting for the light to change to walk across the street. Since he could turn faster than I could scurry across the street, I said - without thinking - "Go ahead, Mr. Jeep." When I glanced to see if he'd go, he grinned and said, "OK. Thanks." and I blushed because I hadn't realized I'd actually spoken nor that his vehicle had no windows and he could hear me. The good news is that people can find it - thinking out loud - a sweet and endearing quirk! :)
I hate driving. Ick. I often drive SLOWER than the speed limit if I am talking to the person next to me. You can ask Jane. She rode shotgun on my drive to move out from GradSchoolState to SleepyTown. She was totally annoyed with me at how long it took to get there because I was driving and talking with her. She still jokes about how long it took us.
That said, I'd like to think my driving style is separate from my life -- I think I multitask better in other areas of my life than when I'm driving, for example.
Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who doesn't drive the speed limit!
I wish that you could have hugs, too.
Sheepish! And Post-doc! Don't you know if you speed you'll kill an innocent child in a gruesome manner? And get a speeding ticket? I guess I've been traumatised by all the anti-speeding ads.
Post-doc, that's exactly something I would say :) I only talk to the cars when I'm in one, though, with the windows closed. I think I drove alone too much after I got my licence...
B*, yay, I'm glad I'm not the only slow one :)
Shrinky, I know you're joking, but you're right... I would have to be different, at least.
I drive the same way at home, actually. The wrong side of the road didn't really make a difference. But I was speeding on some of the (reasonably big) roads where the limit was like 25 for no apparent reason - that's barely moving!
There are morbid anti-speeding ads?
And I drive the speed limit sometimes, but usually only on small-ish roads, where I am likely to get a ticket. Or am afraid of hitting something. On big roads? zoom. Sorta. I'm like wolfa, I want to make it go faster too.
And I think it is a wonderful wonderful wonderful thing that you still make the mistake & fix it later. I cannot tell you how many almost-accidents I've seen because some idiot realizes they're about to make a mistake (e.g. wrong exit on a highway) and try to fix it (back up from the exit ramp onto the highway. No. Really.) Maybe it doesn't work so well in real life? but dude, keep *driving* that way.
For the record - I was totally totally joking.
Ceresina, maybe not in this country... I tend to keep going the wrong way, even if I actually have time to change lanes safely.
Wolfa, I think I may have driven on that road.
Shrinky, I know. I didn't mean to make you feel bad.
Post a Comment
<< Home