profiting from fraud
Apparently, Random House is going to give refunds to anyone who bought A Million Little Pieces before the fabrication was admitted. I bought a remaindered copy for $6 a couple of years ago, but if I sent in the cover, I could get a $14.95 refund. I'd have to sign a statment that I wouldn't have bought the book if I'd known it wasn't true, though. I'm not sure whether I would have or not. I bought it based on a recommendation from bookslut, so I guess it would depend whether the book stood up well enough as fiction to get positive reviews. Probably it wouldn't, unless he'd made everything fit together slightly less neatly.
I enjoyed the book, in any case, so it seems a bit unfair to ask for money back. Perhaps enjoyed is the wrong word. The parts of the book that were about addiction felt real and moving, particularly where he wrote about eating to fill the gaping hole he could no longer fill with drugs and alcohol. I did feel a little betrayed on learning that large parts of it weren't true, but mainly because I felt silly for accepting the exaggerated parts without being more critical.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home