(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, September 10, 2006

shopping is demoralising

I ended up getting basically this outfit (the same top, slightly different pants):

Good enough? I also got a skirt that I actually like (I like the purple shirt, but I'm fairly indifferent about the pants), but it's not online (it's like this, but a brownish with a bit of pinkish tweedy kind of pattern). I couldn't figure out what I could wear it with, but after I got home I realised I actually have a top that matches, so I feel slightly less demoralised now*.

It would have been a lot easier if I'd had someone else with me to tell me what, if anything, looked good and was appropriate for a conference. I don't like shopping with other people when I'm looking for something specific, though, because I feel bad dragging them around. Instead I tried on the same 3 pairs of pants a million times each and finally gave up and got the most boring when I got to the point where I didn't like any of them much anymore.


*I'm still not sure when I'll ever wear it, unless I decide to dress up for the entire conference and not just when I'm presenting, which I'm not really inclined to do. Should I be? Am I supposed to be networking at this thing? Gah! More to worry about...

10 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Very cute! I don't know how fancy people get at conferences in your field or how warm / cold it will be there. Is there a blazer / jacket you could wear with the outfit(s)?

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I think it's perfect!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger betty said...

hey lucy, that's a perfect outfit. good job! i hate shopping too, so an extra star to you for going out and just getting the job done.

in terms of dressing up for the whole thing i say no. if you are going with labmates or are going to know people there, then you'll be fine in whatever. if you are going alone and want to network (which is up to you, though it can't hurt) then you just want to be sure to wear what you feel best in. that way you'll project an air of confidence (even if you don't feel that way inside). don't wear something you feel stupid or uncomfortable or out of place in - you'll just act that way and then it will be all icky.

that being said, i do have a love hate relationship with confereces. sometimes it's hard to network. be yourself (intellegent and kind) and it will all be fine i'm sure. i hope you have a great time!

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

Nice outfit! I also hate bringing people along when I'm looking for something in particular - I always feel bad making them follow me from store to store, or wait while I'm in the dressing room. And I'd echo Betty and just say wear what you feel most comfortable in. Also, once you get there you'll probably get a better sense of how casual/dressy people are, and adjust accordingly. Have fun at the conference!

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

That works for me. Well, I mean, not for me, uhhh, not like that. I mean, I'd say that's appropriate. It's pretty middle of the road on the dressy spectrum. Ultimately, I think you want to dress so that people don't notice what you're wearing. That distracts from a presentation.

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny - I never shop at sears because it seems so expensive to me! I once found a denim jacket there that I liked, and it was $50! Which seems ridiculous to me for a sears jacket. But looks like you did a good job. I love circle skirts!!!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger jeremy said...

I think the outfit looks just fine, although I wouldn't carry that purse around a conference. At least by going to the conference, you can scout out what other women are wearing and so you won't have to wonder what the norms are again.

(Unless you start giving talks in other disciplines, where they switch. For example, economists are much more fond of wearing jackets and even suits to conferences than are sociologists.)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone! I will definitely be taking notes on what other people wear.

Betty, I will be with labmates, so I'd definitely feel more comfortable not dressing up, because I don't think they've ever seen me in non-jeans/t-shirt attire.

Jeremy, don't worry; I don't even own a purse anything like that. No fancy shoes, either.

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

It's cute and perfect! I think I'm going to wear something similar for my presentation. Or I'm going to end up wearing a black turtleneck, because black is my "I'm not going to be intimidated by you" colour.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I think the outfit is good. I wore a suit during my presentation of my poster for my first conference and did the "dressy casual" thing for the remainder. To be honest, there were enough people who did not wear suits during their poster presentation that I felt like I would have been better off and more comfortable not wearing a suit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home