(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

blogger word association

In Fever Pitch, one of the justifications (or maybe it's just a benefit) Nick Hornby offers for his obsessional love for the Arsenal football team is that it's a way of making people think about him. He knows that whenever people hear that Arsenal won or lost people will think "Nick will be happy/sad". It's stuck in my mind enough that whenever I hear any news about Arsenal I think of him, too.
The same thing works for bloggers. I think today B* and Sheepish have cemented the link between pandas and themselves, such that I will now be tempted to email all panda-related websites I come across to them*.

Other prompt-blogger word association pairs include:
parrots&StyleyGeek
kittens/Project Runway/Veronica Mars&Shrinky (kittens also go with Wolfa)
Richard Buckner&Luckybuzz (this has been coming up a lot since I rejoined emusic and downloaded his latest album)
TtFTE&Phantom (via LG and Baby Blue) (and challah french toast, which I almost ordered at the deli I went to on Monday, just because of reading about it on your blog, but I settled for plain challah toast with my omelette)
Also the various places people are from, if it's somewhere I have little other association with, at least, like Iowa&Jeremy.

I completely suck at word association, usually. The irc channel I used to hang out in used to have long word association games occasionally and I wouldn't be able to think of anything but the fact that I couldn't think of anything. I guess I just don't deal well with pressure. The pairs I mentioned might reflect that, since I have trouble thinking of specific examples for similar reasons, so that list isn't necessarily representative.

Anyone else have their own blogger associations to share or do I just spend too much time thinking about blogs? It has to be something that makes you immediately think of a blogger, not the other way around.

For some reason I feel vaguely uncomfortable posting about people like this. I think I may have offended people in the past because of a superficially unflattering association (different from the more convoluted one that actually existed in my head). I didn't try to think of any of the more random associations I probably have, but if you don't like what I've linked you with, I'll delete it.




*Don't worry, I won't actually do this. But here's a very cute picture for you.

8 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

Oh, this is excellent--I totally have these too! Like, Minnesota = Jesse (even though he's not there anymore). And, of course, I think of you whenever I see or hear about the site of our meetup. :) And TtFTE and Phantom, absolutely. This is fun. I'll bet I have more...

And can I just say that I like the look of "Richard Buckner & Luckybuzz"? Excuse me, I have to go write that all over my school notebooks. :)

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Laughing. I downloaded Richard Buckner from eMusic, too, and yesterday LG's ears pricked up when he heard it. I was just thinking that if he develops an obsession about it, I will totally title that post "I blame Luckybuzz."

Just tell me that you consider me a Very Useful Engine, and I shan't be offended at all. ;-)

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Yes, please to email everything panda related!!!

I just showed two of my colleagues the panda on the panda cam.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Luckybuzz, ice cream is a good one. Laughing at the school books, too :)

Phantom, you are definitely a Very Useful Engine :)

B*, I blame you for my procrastination today! I have been watching the panda cam instead of working.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Which panda cam do you like best?? There is one for D.C., Atlanta, and San Diego, maybe more?!?!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

I was stuck on the Atlanta one, because of the baby. So cute!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Yes, I love that one!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

You won't? Now that is just plain mean!

I sure do like pandas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home