(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, October 08, 2006

ick

I don't usually listen to the radio, but one of my housemates had it on today. The ad that's really been irritating is for some anti-wrinkle cream. The whole ad is men raving about how young their wives now look.
Oh, and the other reason you should buy it? It was given away at Sundance! What's that supposed to prove?

7 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Jane Dark said...

Lord, commercials are one of the main reasons that I listen to NPR all the time. I love NPR, too. But I can't STAND radio commercials. They are like the incessant buzzing of a mosquito.

Of course, this changes in other countries, where I love the commercials because the slogans and phrases stick in my head, often to the amusement of other speakers. My young Israeli friends were fascinated with my ability to sing telephone number jingles...

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I was used to completely non-commercial radio stations at home, which is why I don't listen here. The requests for donations/acknowledgements of donors on NPR are a bit much for me, even. For some reason I didn't mind the promotion of other shows on the same station, though.
Do the foreign commercials have to be in languages you don't understand to be enjoyable?

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

I hate those kind of ads. Ugh.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

but my problem with the Sundance thing is that it was given away; it's not like the cool Sundance people even chose this for their anti-wrinkle needs.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Ew. Ew. And Sundance, you used to be cool. I think. Or I like Robert Redford. It might just be that.

Could you imagine a commercial in which women talk about how young and wrinkle-free they like their husbands to look? How using this cream will make you look significantly younger than your wife?

Thanks for reminding me why I don't listen to anything but the Canadian version of public radio. (And we don't get the funding drives; it's government-funded. And I will defend that government funding against all the people who complain about CBC funding with every socialist bone in my body.)

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

well, it's not sundance's fault these people were forcing their cream on attendees.

And yay for the Commonwealth! Government funding for public radio/tv rocks.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Terminal Degree said...

Ugh. This is even worse than that add for some brain-vitamin-product that had incredulous sounding people say, "Free? They let you try it free? Then it MUST be good!" Gah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home