(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, October 15, 2006

social anxiety from the comfort of my very own room

I've been playing with Façade this weekend, thanks to Jeremy. It's an interactive story where you've been invited over by your friends, Grace and Trip, then when you get there, they're arguing. You can talk to them by typing and they'll respond if they understand, otherwise they'll just continue their argument (or stare at you blankly). As you can imagine, listening to a couple argue isn't the most comfortable social situation to begin with, but it made me feel even more socially inept that most real life interactions (which is saying something).

I wasn't so worried about saying something inappropriate, since I don't care if badly-animated, computer-generated characters hate me, but you're supposed to be able to influence whether Grace and Trip stay together or break up, so I was conscious of trying not to provoke more arguments. My biggest problem, though, was getting them to understand what I was saying at all. It took me quite a long time to even get into the apartment the first time, since Trip just kept staring at me and making random awkward-pause-filling noises. It seemed rude to just walk past him when he hadn't invited me in (okay, I guess I was worried about what animated characters thought of me...). He didn't respond when I asked how he was, or how work was or even asked if I could come in.

I don't want to go through what I tried saying, because I don't want you real people to see my awkward attempts at conversation. It was basically my worst social nightmare - trying to make conversation and having every attempt be ignored with disdainful looks (I don't know if the expressions on the characters' faces are meant to match their emotions, but I was certainly reading disdain into them). In my first couple of attempts I basically gave up and just tried to provoke them into responding to me, by moving their stuff around, insinuating that they were depressed and calling Trip a jerk. I got a response, at least, but they kicked me out.

My last attempt was more successful. After a pause where I thought the game was broken because they both just stared at me, blinking, for at least ten minutes (while I played with their stuff, suggested they were having affairs etc and eventually went off to other windows), they finally starting talking about their marriage. I assumed I was supposed to counsel them somehow, but I had no idea what to say that wouldn't annoy them so I mostly didn't say anything, and apparently that was enough for them to work things out by themselves.

I'm not sure which explanation seems worse: that I was was completely unable to make conversation, or that the failings of the game's AI could so easily make me feel bad about my social skills.

8 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger kermitthefrog said...

That seems like it could potentially be such a good outlet for frustration -- have a bad day at work? Call Trip a jerk!

But if your non-responses worked so well, it sounds to me like you have a hidden vocation as a Freudian analyst.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

My mental image of you playing with their stuff and insinuating affairs is making me smile. :)

Which was not the point of this post, I realize. But I don't think you should take it personally...they sound difficult.

:)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

I haven't checked the 'game' out yet, but from the way you describe it, it reminds me of the early text-based adventure games. Played those? They had a frustratingly narrow vocabularly, and you had to sit there for a long time typing things like "Open door", "enter room", and so on before hitting on "turn handle."

Also, the first thought that came to mind was that it would be fun to see how fast you can help them break up. And this: moving their stuff around, insinuating that they were depressed and calling Trip a jerk is utterly hilarious. I can't stop laughing at it.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Sheepish, I think I was playing it like those text adventure games. It's supposed to be different because the scene goes on without you (kind of) instead of waiting for you to take your turn. It was hard to tell if they understood and were just ignoring me, or if I should try rephrasing what I'd said.

At one point, Trip mentioned a trip to italy and I tried 3 or 4 different ways to ask about it, with no success, before he finally responded by saying "geez, enough about italy! What is your problem?"

It was kind of fun to be completely obnoxious. I guess my next strategy will be to try to break them up before being told to leave.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

You know, it's different because "you" aren't actually in the scene, but this kind of reminds me of my old obsession with the Sims. Sometimes I'd be all sadistic and try to make them as miserable as possible. Though I never got to actually *call* them jerks. :)

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Sheepish, it sounds like you'd enjoy this game :)

Luckybuzz, did you make them break up?

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, making them break up was really the least of it. I made one guy so miserable he literally keeled over and died.

Though watching them fight was kind of therapeutic. It was a weird time in my life. :)

--luckybuzz (hating blogger still...)

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I'm glad you had some virtual people to take that out on, Luckybuzz :)

I think Facade must be kind of broken, because I tried it again today and after inviting me in, Trip disappeared off to the kitchen. I followed and he and grace just stared at me for a while, then I could hear them furtively arguing (although they weren't moving their mouths) about the fact that Grace didn't want to come out and talk to me, as if I weren't standing right in front of them... I guess I wasn't supposed to go into the kitchen. Trip also asked me about a hundred times if I wanted one of his "drink inventions", but couldn't understand any of my many variations on yes. He did understand "shut up about your drink inventions" though, and got all offended...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home