(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, November 02, 2006

blogger beta?

I accidentally deleted half my template the other day. Luckily, I had saved a copy from the last time I updated it, but now it seems that my categories aren't working. I'm leaning towards switching to blogger beta instead of trying to fix them. For those of you who have switched, is this a bad idea? Can I keep my own template and have categories? Will people still be able to comment? Will any other terrible things happen?

7 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I've switched, kept my old template, and been rewarded with categories for my troubles. So I would say go for it, though I suspect that others will say differently).

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I switched, used a beta template for a while, got sick of it last weekend and went back to a pre-blogger template and still kept the categories. No worries for doing that. There are some issues with commenting on other folks blogs as a beta user. You need to log in to post the comment through a different route (and can't keep your old blogger login) and if you type the comment first, it deletes it when you login. So copy paste will be your new friend.
Other than that, really happy with blogger beta running pre-beta templates and having categories.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Cee said...

I've switched and been very happy with it. No commenting problems (although I do have to log in again when commenting on non-Beta blogs, as Propter Doc says), and I can use the categories with my old template (although not have a list of them in the sidebar, but I don't want that anyway).

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

It's a two step process. You can switch to blogger beta without changing the template, and that will allow you to use their 'labels' feature for categories, but requires you to link your login to a gmail account. If you use gmail for your real email as well, this will mean you will constantly be switching back and forth between gmail accounts (and/or accidentally end up posting comments when logged into your real name account -- very awkward).

The second step -- actually changing your template to a blogger beta template -- is a bigger issue, since you will have to redo any changes you made to the original default template. It can take a while to get up and running.

I'm not saying don't do it. But maybe do step one first (if you can face the gmail hassles) and save template upgrading until you have a lot of free time.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

I'm already having issues with real vs blog google accounts, so that mightn't be enough of a disincentive. The template is more worrisome, though. Phantom, how did you get your old template back? Are they still not letting you just paste the html in? I don't want to have to build my template out of their drag and drop pieces.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I hate, hate, hate having to switch back and forth between accounts. In the time that I've had Beta, I've accidentally posted comments under my real name, on my own blog, which is So. Not. Good. I've been using IE Tab in Firefox--opening blogger pages in IE under my other google account. But overall, if I could go back, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger FB said...

Personally, It was a smooth "upgrade". With this new version, you have more control and ease of use, mainly template elements' manipulation.
I don't see so many choices concerning the ready-to-use templates than the older ones, but you can configure almost all fonts and colors of your blog with a user-friendly WYSIWYG.
Bottom line: I find it much better :)
Anyway, one of the meanings of Beta is: " get freely in before we do get you in and we will :) "

have a nice day !

Rabah Qial

 

Post a Comment

<< Home