(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Friday, November 03, 2006

distracted

I know I have zero points so far today and it's already afternoon, but I'm too distracted from this morning to work and I'm hoping blogging about it will help.

I had a therapy appointment this morning for the first time in about 6 weeks and it was just as pointless as usual. Last time I saw her she suggested leaving it a month so she had time to consult with other people she works with and hopefully get some new ideas. I'm not entirely sure what the result of the consultation was, because today she suggested just “checking in” once a month. I think that might be a polite way of getting rid of me, since I can't imagine how it could possibly be helpful.

She asked how I've been feeling and about the medication I stopped taking in July. I said I'd been feeling better, which is true, but then the rest of her questions made me feel worse again. Basically, despite not feeling miserable, I'm still fairly non-functional. I'm still hiding in my room, avoiding my housemates, rarely eating real meals, staying up too late, getting to lab far too late and not doing any work when I get there. I am trying to change some of that, so maybe I shouldn't be so discouraged, I guess. It was hard not to be, though, when she got all concerned and asked again if I'd been feeling “unsafe”.

She still seems to think medication would help, and tried to convince me to see the terrifying psychiatrist again. She always asks if I'm “open to” doing whatever she suggests and I really, really wanted to say no, but I didn't want to explain why, or have her tell him that I didn't want to (I really hate that they talk to each other and see emails I've sent to any of them). I tried to convince myself that maybe it would be helpful to see someone who wouldn't just let me sit there in silence, but it was so horrible last time that I couldn't say yes, either. Instead I just sat there silently digging my nails into my fingers until she gave up on getting me to answer and just made the appointment for me. I'm already thinking of cancelling it.

I'm not at all convinced that medication is likely to help, since it didn't even make me feel less sad, before, and my not getting anything done now isn't even related to feeling sad. I know there isn't really anything else they can do to help, though, since I won't talk.

I went to the procrastination group again this week. I don't think it's all that helpful, since nobody else there seems as bad as me. I have talked, which I guess is good, even though I could feel my face turning red every time I opened my mouth.

Maybe I should try the social anxiety group, although that doesn't seem like my worst problem at the moment, either. Although, if it could help me talk about the other problems, I guess that would be good.

Am I actually depressed, though? Or just lazy and unmotivated?

7 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about seeing a new therapist? I definitely think there has to be a therapy fit and perhaps you guys don't fit.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

Oh, Lucy, this sounds hard. For me, it's terribly difficult to tell when I'm depressed and when I'm lazy. I think - for me (so I'm not trying to draw parallels to you) - it's all related to the depression.

I think that medication, therapy (both individual and group) and journaling are all good things. I don't know how you make them work and I hate thinking about you sitting somewhere - miserable and uncomfortable. So I'm sorry - I so wish I had some advice here. I'd personally look for someone else to talk to, but that's just me.

What helps me sometimes is knowing I'm not alone. I worked from home 4 days this week, and accomplished the bare minimum. Sometimes I cry and cry, other times I find I've watched TV for 8 hours or so and have no idea where the time went. It's not good - I feel terrible about it - but you're not the only one who feels lost or confused or inferior sometimes. I wish you didn't - I really hope you find a way to get better.

Also remember that you're smart and sweet and wonderful. That's important and very true. :)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger ceresina said...

You're depressed.

Okay, here's the deal. I know that people shouldn't diagnose over the internet etc, but I can't help it. A lazy & unmotivated person would *not* stay silent through an entire therapy session; would *not* sit digging fingernails into palms while the therapist made an appointment of which said person was terrified; would *not* hide from housemates & not eat real meals. Et cetera.

Yes, a lazy and/or unmotivated person would probably not get work done at the office. Yes, such a person might stay up late. But all those other things I listed above, *individually*, are indicative of a genuine problem, and you have all of them. And all those other issues lead to behavior that may look lazy, but it only *looks* lazy. You are not a lazy person; you're depressed.

Okay -- you may not be depressed, but you definitely have a psychological disorder (I hate that phrase, but I can't think of a less loaded one) that is keeping you from fully engaging in the world.

I am so very *not* saying this to make you feel worse. I think being aware that one has a real issue, not just laziness, can help one in the sense one can stop beating oneself up (too many "ones", no?). Of course it won't happen overnight; I've been treated for years & I still beat myself up for being lazy & unmotivated.

I really hope I haven't hurt your feelings, because I wasn't trying to be, I was just trying to be encouraging.

I wish for your sake you could find a therapist you could talk to. Checking in with this one once a month is going to do nothing for *you*.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Ceresina, no hurt feelings, don't worry :) I'm fully aware I have psychological problems, but I'm not convinced that they include depression right now (shouldn't I actually feel miserable or sad? I don't really at the moment) or that they can be fixed by medication or even that they're necessarily related to the laziness. The lack of motivation started when I think I was depressed, but it hasn't really got much better, even though my mood has improved. I would love it if I could blame everything on some condition (preferably one I could just take a pill for), instead of just general personality flaws...

I wish I could find a therapist I could talk to, as well, but it's a bit of a Catch-22 situation, since a lot of my issues would have to magically disappear for me to be able to talk to anyone in the first place.

Post-doc, it does help to know I'm not the only one, but it also makes me sad that others are feeling similarly, particularly when it's someone I like a lot. I hope you're feeling better soon!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm glad that your mood has improved, but I still have to agree with ceresina. That you are less depressed than you were a few months ago does not mean that you are no longer depressed.

I wish you were more willing to blame your "failings" on a condition that you might be able to take a pill for instead of blaming yourself!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

For me, lack of motivation and depression go closely together, but the psyche is a complex thing, so I can't say for sure with others.

Hugs to you.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger ceresina said...

Phew. I'm glad I didn't offend. I'm so bad with tone.
And as to the "sadness" -- psychological depression isn't necessarily feeling sad; it's just as likely to manifest itself as feeling unmotivated & unconnected with the world.
So I'll stop lecturing now. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home