(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Friday, November 10, 2006

"excellent musical abilities"

Given how much I hated (and sucked at) the aural components of my piano exams, and the fact that I could never confidently tune the tympani, I was kind of expecting to fail this test for tone deafness*. I actually got 80%, but I think I would've done much worse if it simply played the same (or within a tone) note on two different instruments and asked if they were the same.

*via Lifehacker

8 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I got about 80% too, but I'm sure it's mostly testing memory rather than tone deafness. I mean, half the time I'd hear the second phrase and think, "Did the first one go up at the end like that or not?"

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Yeah, that's why I'd do worse at the single note test, even if I could replay them a million times.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I got 75%. I actually thought I'd do better, based solely on my ability to distinguish between minutely different live versions of Bob Dylan songs...but maybe that's not the universally-useful skill I try to believe it is. :)

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

66%, which is way better than I thought I'd do.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Margi said...

That was fun. 88.9%. So close to being world class; I can't stand it.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger ceresina said...

Darn it, I only got 66.something, especially since some of the differences were annoyingly obvious.
Why were you tuning typani? I think that is a most excellent task, no matter how well one does at it!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I used to play percussion. I was much happier on instruments with fixed tuning.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Terminal Degree said...

91.7%, which makes me cranky.

I do think that the timbre and rhythm changes created too many variables in the test.

But I still want the other 8.3 points.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home