guavas and other fruit
Wolfa told me to post about fruit, specifically guavas, and it's better material than quiz results, and easier than the other options, so here you go.
I hate guava; at least, I did when I was 9 or so and ate the only bite of guava I've ever eaten. My grandparents had an almost-farm, with chickens and a bunch of different fruit trees and an avocado orchard. For the most part, this was a good thing. It was fun to play with the chickens (mainly we'd just try to catch them and put a tin over their head and laugh at how they instantly fell asleep) and wander around in the neighbours' paddocks looking for horses and cool native fauna.
Some of the fruit my grandparents grew was awesome (lychees, custard apples), but some was icky (guavas, kumquats, lemons). I hated avocados, too, but worst of all was the chayote patch. Chayotes are these horrible, prickly, sickly-green, pear-shaped vegetables (technically they're fruit, so they fit in this post, but we ate them with dinner, not dessert, which is my working definition of a vegetable). My grandmother horrified me by telling me that during WWII they sold tinned chayotes as pear substitutes. I'm not sure why pears were rationed; maybe they just take too much work to grow. Chayotes grow like weeds. The vines covered the length of the house, at least, so we always had an enormous bag of the nasty things to take home (even though when I was put in charge of collecting them I'd try to get away with only half filling a bag).
For some reason, I was never forced to try guava again, but I dreaded having to choke down piles of steamed chayote in the meals that followed a visit to my grandparents'. I'm almost gagging just thinking about it. Maybe I should try guava again, since my tastes may have matured slightly, and other people claim to like them. I've started liking guacamole, at least. I'm pretty sure I can happily live my life without ever tasting chayote again, though.
5 Comments:
I tried chayote several months ago and was unimpressed - it was bitter! Guava, on the other hand, I found quite tasty the few times I've tried it.
I love guavas. But if they aren't quite ripe they can be horrible. Maybe you were just unlucky.
I hate bananas. The last banana I ate, when I was three, had a bruise that I bit into and I haven't liked bananas since. My tastes have not matured in that respect.
But I think I tried a bit of guava last year when we were in Hawai'i, and I think I liked the taste--nice and tangy. But the seeds are annoying.
And, based on your description, I don't think I wil be eating chayote anytime time soon.
I have total traumatic memories associated with guava. Can't stand 'em.
Oh, I had Dr Four Eyes' experience too -- also when I was about three. I didn't eat bananas for another 20 years, but then I gradually came to like them through the gateway drug of sugared, cinnomen-sprinkled bananas fried in coconut oil and served with caramel sauce.
That led to other experimentation with cooked bananas, which led to banana splits, which led to the occasional real, raw banana.
I've matured :)
Post a Comment
<< Home