(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, November 30, 2006

random bullets of NaBloPoMo

  • It was surprisingly easy to post every day
  • Some of that ease was probably due to posting contentless project 365 photo posts
  • Of course, I still have a week's worth of unposted photos on my camera
  • And I'm pretty sure I won't keep posting every day
  • Photo posts may not quite be cheating, but I only met my proposed point requirement for posting 4 times in the whole month
  • Clearly, I care more about my blog than my PhD...
  • About 1/3 of the points I did give myself were for eating proper meals, anyway, which hardly count, but are still a good thing
  • I averaged just over an hour of work a day (including weekends)
  • That average is quite sickening
  • Even more horrifying is the thought that it's probably an improvement over the previous month
  • I still have the same posts sitting as drafts as I did at the start of the month, plus a couple of extras
  • My traffic has almost doubled this month (in terms of unique visitors)
  • Most of those visitors came from the NaBloPoMo randomiser
  • Or from people looking for blogger beta templates (the announcement telling me all the wonderful reasons I should switch is back, so I'm not sure what happened to my categories, or why I have a field labelled "tags" now)
  • Or still more people looking for that green lil turtle (and none of them answered my question about what the heck they were looking for (est-ce que c'est parce que vous êtes tous Français? Dites-moi, s'il vous plaît: qu'est-ce que c'est, le green_lil_turtle??))
  • I don't think any of those readers will stick around (comment if I'm wrong! :) )
  • I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of NaBloPoMo
  • I guess I started it thinking it would be good to write (and therefore be more thoughtful) about some of the things I'd been thinking about
  • That was about as successful as my idea of working to earn the right to post
  • Maybe next time I should set some goals for quality rather than quantity
  • This seal wasn't available when I registered, but maybe it's as good a reason as any to have done NaBloPoMo (and I like bears, anyway)

4 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger ceresina said...

Well, though, if we academics (or those of us who procrastinate, of which you *seem* to be *claiming* you are one, so if you're not I'm sorry I insulted you) aim for quality, it tends to be for perfection, which infintely reduces quantity.
Or so my personal experience tells me.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger ceresina said...

Hmm. Maybe that sounded a little yell-y.
I'm just *very* mad at myself, and feeling just a *little* bitter, and trying to help you avoid my, um, chasm. Abyss. Hole to the center of the earth, but not beyond.

And I forgot to congratulate you on actually succeeding in NaBloPoMo!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Well, I can hardly reduce my quantity much further before hitting zero, so perhaps it's worth trying for some quality.

I'm sorry you're stuck in a similar abyss. *hugs*

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

"Clearly, I care more about my blog than my PhD..."

I've been having this same nagging suspicion about myself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home