(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

evil again

My mum called tonight. It was at a time when she usually calls, so I assumed it was for me and picked up the phone, even though a housemate had already answered it. I hung up again when I heard him say something about being worried, thinking it wasn't her after all. Then my housemate came into the room I was in, saying "she seems to be fine" and then he wrote down my mum's phone number and handed the phone to me.
I hate it when my mother talks to other people about me. She told me she was just giving my housemate her number in case I ever got sick or something...
She's worried about me, though, because I don't call her enough. I am just as bad about procrastination with keeping in touch with my family and friends as I am with doing work. She thinks (or thought, I hope) that I was intentionally avoiding talking to her because I hate her.
I've been feeling guilty for ages about not posting her birthday present, which is still sitting on my desk, and not calling enough.
I've done the same with my dad, except worse. I didn't even return his phone calls when he left messages. And my brother emailed me with another attempt to get me to open up completely with him, which I ignored for months and then avoided replying to directly.
I've been avoiding talking to them because I feel guilty and anxious when they ask how my work is going (if I say I'm not doing anything, shouldn't I give up and go home and not stay so far away from them for no reason? And I should be working, so that I don't have to spend extra years far away finishing my PhD) or how I am (if I'm unhappy, I should go home and be comforted by them, right? Or maybe I should be unhappier than I am about being so far away) and whether I'm really okay or just saying that and I can always talk to them about anything (except I can't).
I think I've managed to convince them I don't care at all about them.
It doesn't help that I haven't got it together enough to start Christmas shopping yet, despite the fact that postage time, and the time difference, and the fact that they're having Christmas 4 days early mean I should've already posted stuff.
I haven't emailed any of my friends in ages, either. The only ones I've been in contact with are ones who use IM, and message me first. I always feel like hiding first, and then am happy to have spoken to them.
I do care that I'm hurting all the people I love/like, but I think I should care more. Somehow it's easier just to let time slip by, without actually doing anything.
It's easier just to be evil than to admit that I'm struggling with everything. Probably because that would feel like just making excuses, and if I'm going to be evil, I shouldn't let people think otherwise.

7 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Order stuff online from shops in your home country and have it shipped direct. That way it will still make it. You can get books, CDs, and all sorts of fun gadgetry from online shops located here. And it's much more fun to shop online than in person, anyway, because you (a) don't have to interact with annoying sales people
(b) don't have to take coffee breaks at over-priced cafes, but can sip your coffee happily while you shop
(c) can shop naked.

(If you are into that sort of thing).

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I realise my comment completely ignored the main point of your post. Sorry.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

You aren't evil. (I'll stop now.)

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

You're confusing evil with, umm, lackadaisical? Busy? Overwhelmed? Some other not-particularly-evil word?

Parents are always like that. They care and they worry - it's their job. My parents still flip out every once and a while if they don't hear from me often enough. Our definitions of "often enough" differ wildly.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger post-doc said...

I've picked up my phone to 10 missed calls in a single afternoon if I don't answer promptly when my dad wants to speak to me. Parents just worry. And though it makes me feel guilty, I try to limit that as much as possible (which sometimes fails miserably, but the effort is there.)

It's sometimes hard for me to keep up with everyone I love. And once I feel like I'm so far behind, it's hard to find the energy to catch up. So I think I understand. I just don't know what advice to offer.

I'm thinking good thoughts for you. I very much wish it wasn't difficult right now.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, Lucy. Isn't this entire blog evidence that you can't talk to your family, that they've subverted your voice in so many ways that you can't even use it? You're not evil for avoiding them. Not even a little tiny bit evil.

Nice try, though.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Not evil. Avoidant and overwhelmed yes, but, as Phantom said, there are clear reasons for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home