(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Thursday, December 14, 2006

experiments suck

I was hoping to get so much done today. I thought I could go to a meeting, do an experiment, finish the Christmas shopping that needs to arrive earliest and go to an assertiveness workshop, but instead I pretty much messed up every one of those things.
Every time I have limited time to do experiments, I seem to lose the ability to do basic maths. I made a plan for my experiment yesterday, but then at the meeting this morning, my advisor didn't like it, so I had to redo it. Then, I couldn't find my virus in the robot lab, so I had to spend an hour travelling to my normal lab and back to get more. Then, I realised my calculations were wrong. Then, I started setting up and discovered they were wrong again. By this time my virus had been sitting out unfrozen for far too long, so I hope I didn't kill it. When I finally went to use the robots, I dropped my tube of medium in the bottom of the special, closed cabinet, which I couldn't open, of course. So, I made up more, then realised that calculation was wrong as well, and made up more again. Then I dropped a lid into the bottom of the cabinet. It's time to go back and finish the experiment and I'm afraid I'll just drop the whole (toxic) mess...
Plus, all that took so long that I couldn't go to the workshop and I didn't make it to the post office. This is why I've been avoiding doing labwork so much.

3 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

Indeed. Experiments do suck and I've had many of those days when I wish I hadn't started whatever it is I'm trying to do. I hope your luck changes soon. (And your title really did make me laugh, so thanks for that.)

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger ceresina said...

I'm sorry your experiment was... less than successful, but can I just say I am so totally jealous of the idea of running a whole experiment in a single day?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

ceresina, I was actually trying to simplify by referring to yesterday's task as an experiment; it was one step of an 8-10 day experiment. Length definitely also sucks (and 8-10 days isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things, either).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home