(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

lucy, the evil, heartless bitch: part seven

previously on LtEHB

You probably weren't expecting another update so soon, but I feel like finishing the story, especially since I think the part six might have been the hardest to write. I think I keep getting more evil, though.

I flew to the US the day after S left for another C'landian city. I had recruitment activities at Prestigious U for 3 days, then I was going to stay and explore the city for another few days. S was looking forward to spending more time with me, and I was already dreading the point when I would have to tell him the truth about how I felt.
The recruitment weekend was fun. Sharing a hotel room with a stranger wasn't a horribly awkward experience. I liked the other students and actually felt like I did okay socialising with them. I did feel uncomfortable when people asked where else I'd applied, or why I wanted to come to the US, but that was fairly minor.
I'd planned to call S on the Saturday night, after all the activities were over, to make arrangements to meet up with him the following day. I hadn't thought ahead to realise that I'd be sharing a room and wouldn't want to call S in front of someone else, so I didn't call. I could've made an excuse to go out and find a pay phone or something, but I really didn't want to talk to S, so I just gave in to my avoidant urges. I don't think I slept at all that night. Partly because I felt guilty about not calling S when I said I would, but mostly because I didn't know what I was going to do about telling him things weren't going to work out between us. My roommate had to leave for her flight at 4am, and I gave up attempting to sleep after she left and just read. I thought about calling S then, but assumed, or at least convinced myself, he'd be asleep (I had a feeling he would've preferred to be woken up, even if he was, but again I was avoidant). I did get a couple of hours sleep after finishing my book at around 7am, and then finally called S even though I was wishing I could just keep ignoring him. He was understandably upset that I hadn't called, but he forgave me easily, which made me feel worse.
He showed me around the city and took me to see some of the places he'd told me about. I didn't write about this in the previous part, but it was very sad to do some of the things we'd been talking about doing together and have it not be at all like I'd imagined or hoped. It was even sadder because I think S was just as happy to be with me (or almost) as he'd expected. I was still avoiding telling him how I felt because I thought it would be better to let him be happy as long as possible, but I don't know if I made it harder in the end.
Finally, I decided that the second last night I was there was the latest I could put off telling him the truth. We'd been watching a video at his apartment, so at least we were in a private place. I don't remember what I said exactly (I've tried to avoid thinking about it), something about how I just didn't feel the way I'd thought I felt before we met, and I'd been hoping I would feel that way after spending time with him, but I didn't. He was devastated. He tried to convince me that I should give him more of a chance and maybe with more time I'd want to be with him again. I had to keep saying I didn't think that would work, feeling more and more evil and heartless with every repetition. I felt like I was kicking a puppy. Or rather slowly torturing it to death... If I'd known how to put him out of his misery with one swift blow I would've done that, but instead it took months to kill the last of his hope.
His apartment was kind of far from where I was staying, and I'd planned to get public transport back there, but when it came time for the last service to leave, S didn't want to let me go. He still thought he could change my mind, so he said he'd drive me back once we finished talking. When it finally became clear that I wasn't going to relent, he was too upset to drive, so I slept on the couch in his living room. I didn't sleep much, though. I spent most of the night listening to S sobbing in his room and crying and hating myself for hurting him so badly. At one point, I heard S come back into the living room. I thought maybe he was hoping I'd regret what I'd said after hearing how upset he was, but I couldn't face him again and just kept my face hidden under the covers.
In the morning, we barely spoke. I kept apologising, knowing it wouldn't make anything better. I hugged him goodbye and left, thinking we mightn't see each other again and hating myself for not really minding. I looked back at one point and saw him watching out the window as I walked away.
When I got back to the place I was staying, I slept for a couple of hours, then went out sightseeing again. I saw some cool things and had an enjoyable day, all the while feeling evil for not being as miserable as S presumably was.
The next day, I was flying out fairly early in the morning. When I got to the security screening area, S was there waiting for me. I think he was hoping for some romantic movie scene where I'd realise my mistake and go running back to him. Instead, I was just disappointed that it wasn't going to be ended as easily as it had seemed. My ability to remain steadfast in the face of someone else's wishes, already sorely tested, did crumble slightly, though, and I agreed to try to be friends and see what happened when I came back to start grad school.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Well, I still don't think you were evil.

Sure, in retrospect it might have been easier on him to tell him earlier on that it wasn't working, but it sounds to me that you gave him enough hints (e.g. not wanting to kiss) that if he didn't pick up on it, it was due as much to denial than to anything you did.

Everyone feels bad when they make someone else unhappy, but just because you feel guilty, it doesn't mean you actually did anything wrong. It sounds like you did what you had to.

Finally, I don't want to suggest that you didn't mean a lot to him, but from the other anecdotes you told (the meltdown when he left something on the plane, the tantrum over not getting to 'pet the panda' (that is SUCH a great euphemism, B*)), it sounds as though S just generally doesn't deal well with not getting his own way, or when reality doesn't match up to what he has planned in his own little head.

If you think he overreacted to you telling him you didn't want a relationship, maybe it was partly just a continuance of that same old pattern.

Anyway, thank you for sharing the rest of the story (and so quickly!). It was a great read, and I hope it wasn't too traumatic to write.

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

I was feeling awkward about suggesting that I'd inspired such strong feelings in S, and that someone could be so upset over me, but I think you're right. It wasn't specifically me, I think, so much as the fact that I was interested in him in the beginning, and then he had this whole fantasy life he'd built up around the idea of us being together.
So I don't think he overreacted to me telling him I didn't want a relationship. I can understand why he was so upset and didn't want to give up the dreams he'd had for the future. Going back to the way life was before would be pretty lonely and depressing. It was for me, too, but at least I was choosing that, rather than being forced back into it.

I am glad I wrote the story out, and I appreciate the feedback. Although, I'm not sure I feel any less conflicted about the whole thing now.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

He shouldn't have built up his dreams and hopes for the future so strongly around someone he barely knew. He sounds selfish and controlling to me. If he was upset, it was his own damn fault.

Sorry, I have a very strong reaction to this story because I was once in a somewhat similar situation, and I get mad every time I think about it. I think you handled it just fine.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

It sounds like it was hideously uncomfortable, but not evil. Though he probably wanted you to feel like you were being evil. His manipulation techniques sound only slightly less transparent than those of my two-year-old.

So good on you for getting out, however it was done.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger ceresina said...

Du-ude. You were much nicer than most of the people who broke up with me.
And while I may not have gotten over the fact that they can't appreciate my utter wonderfulness, I don't think they're evil. I absolutely 100% agree with
-styleygeek: S. didn't pick up on obvious clues, and *way* over-reacted;
-Dr. BH: he shouldn't have built up such a fairy castle over someone he barely knew (I know it's a contradiction to blogging, but the internet alone only allows for a few facets of personality). In fact, I think the whole fairy castle was excessive for any relationship, let alone one that was so short and limited in information;
-and P.S.: he wanted you to feel evil, and he was manipulating you. Boy, howdy, was he manipulating you. Making you miss public transportation, and then suddenly being "too upset" to drive you, and making you listen to him cry all night. Jackass.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

PS is cracking me up comparing him only slightly favorably to the emotional maturity of her (extremely precocious) little toddler.

I agree with most of what everyone is saying, but I have to disagree with the "someone he barely knew" part. I imagine that you two knew each other reasonably well after communicating for, what, over a year? Sure, electronic forms of communication are limited in a lot of ways, but you can certainly get to know someone that way. You don't have a good way of knowing if you'll be compatible face-to-face though. I'm a bit biased on this one though.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Hi, Sheepish who I got to know initially electronically... Yeah, I do think on the one hand you can get to know someone really well online, but on the other hand, you can also build up an imaginary image of what they will be like... it's only a conjecture until you have a face-to-face interaction, right? I mean, we really had to re-get-to-know-each-other face-to-face, and fortunately for us we were both pretty similar online and face-to-face, I think, but sometimes people aren't....

To me, it sounds like he hung on because he was enthralled with the idea of the relationship more than the reality of it.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with everyone else above. Yeah, it's really uncomfortable to have to go through such a situation, and yeah, one always feels bad for precipitating it, but look at this way - trying to make such a relationship work would have been MUCH much worse. I completely agree that he'd probably built this way up in his head. You're DEFINITELY not evil.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Phantom, perhaps I should stop offering to babysit; I think Baby Blue would easily have me wrapped around her little finger. :)

Sheepish, I think you're right about us knowing each other fairly well. He did know me a lot better than anyone else I knew in real life, but that's not exactly saying a lot, I guess.
But it's true that the real problem was all the built up images and expectations that didn't match up with reality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home