(Pictures by Dave McKean from The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman)

Sunday, December 17, 2006

slow learner

I was feeling kind of sucky today, despite the fact that I finished knitting the glove part of my second mitten and enjoyed watching Secretary more than I thought I might. I was hoping to finish Christmas shopping today, but I didn't make it out of the house. Also, a housemate invited me to join him and some other friends for dinner and yet again I found myself dreading having to talk to people. I had said I wasn't sure when I'd be done Christmas shopping, thinking that would be an excuse if I didn't feel like it, but then I didn't even go out, as I said. I seriously contemplated pleading illness, but I didn't even want to face my housemate to say I wasn't going to join them after all. Then I tried to take a nap, without setting an alarm, in the hope that I might fall asleep and "accidentally" miss it, which kind of worked, but I was kind of half asleep, feeling miserable about the fact that I never see friends, or talk to people, except for when I've planned specific activities, and I could here people talking and eating, so I went out and joined them late. Of course, it was fine and I enjoyed seeing a couple of people I hadn't seen in a while. How many million times do I have to make myself miserable avoiding something that turns out to be fine before I learn??

2 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Blogger betty said...

sometimes i'm like that too - i really really don't want to do something and try, halfheartedly to get out of it and then it winds up being not that bad. i think that's normal. i'm glad you had fun when you finally did go out.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

I'm glad that you ended up going out and that it was fine and you enjoyed seeing people. I'm bad that way, too: sometimes it's like pulling teeth for Chris just to get me out of the house, and then I feel so much better for having left.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home